Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Syndrome vs. Disease (Read 4610 times)
Marcie
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Syndrome vs. Disease
Feb 5th, 2016 at 12:21pm

Please, I need some help as I am getting conflicting information from the doctors with who. I have consulted.

3 doctors have told me that I have moyamoya syndrome and they have clarified that it is the syndrome and not the disease because I only have it on 1 side.  MY CTA and angiogram reports both suggest moyamoya as well.  But a 3rd neurosurgeon told me that I do not have moyamoya and that saying I have the syndrome is a cop out.  He said that one either has moyamoya disease or does not.  There is no such thing as the syndrome.

Anyone have any feedback?

I have sent my films to dr. Steinberg but I don't know when I will hear back.

IP Logged

moyakrp
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Syndrome vs. Disease
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 1:12pm

Patients with this arteriopathy that occurs either on a familial or idiopathic basis are said to have moyamoya disease. Patients in whom the artery changes occur in association with another process such as sickle cell disease or Down syndrome are said to have moyamoya syndrome.

IP Logged

Marcie
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 1:21pm

So one can be diagnosed with moyamoya disease even if it's only on one side of the brain?

Thanks for the response.

IP Logged

moyakrp
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 12:35pm

Hi Yes,  A person can be diagnosed with MoyaMoya with only blockage on one side of the brain.  Hope all works out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge