Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seeking people who had surgery to ask questions to (Read 4469 times)
B
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Seeking people who had surgery to ask questions to
Apr 9th, 2016 at 5:26pm

Hello,

I was diagnosed with moyamoya 10 years ago, and I have been lucky enough to have had TIAs but no major strokes. Only recently was I told by Dr. Steinberg that it's in my best interest to have the surgery (all other neurologists have taken the "wait and see" approach). I am now debating whether or not to have the surgery because I've had very few TIAs over the past year and a half.

I am seeking people who have had the surgery that I can ask a list of questions to. Ideally, this person would have had the surgery, but would not have had any major strokes (only TIAs) prior to surgery. If there is anyone that had the surgery prior to having children and then had children, that would be extremely helpful, too.  If that person does not exist on here, ultimately I would be very happy to ask anyone about their experience having the surgery as an adult. Let me know if I can send you my long list of questions (or I can post them here).

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2016 at 5:30pm by B »  

IP Logged

SusanL
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Seeking people who had surgery to ask questions to
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2016 at 10:28pm

Hello,
I have not had surgery and can't answer any of your questions, but I was wondering if you have made a decision about your surgery. I was recently diagnosed with MMD but it looks like I have probably had it since I was about 18.  I'm 43 now.  I have not had a stroke and so my doctors have a "wait and see" approach also.  I just heard from Dr. Steinberg today and he is recommending surgery.

One thing Dr. Steinberg commented on were the ischemic lesions he found on both sides of my brain.  That shows that I have had tiny mini strokes.  None of my doctors at Kaiser mentioned these.  Just talking with Dr. Steinberg's nurse I feel like they have so much more knowledge about this disease than the doctors I've seen at kaiser.

I hope you are well and I'm wondering if you are moving forward with the surgery.  I'm in a bit of shock but thinking I should follow Steinberg's recommendations.

IP Logged

nicole409
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Seeking people who had surgery to ask questions to
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 9:22am

Hi
I hope you are well.  When I  was diagnosed last year, there was a " yes, you can wait, but you will be risking a stroke"
I opted for a surgery.  Living with disease is awful!  It causes anxiety! 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge