Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
surgery good, then bad news (Read 6531 times)
ak
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

beaumont, USA, usa, 312, 273, TX, Texas
surgery good, then bad news
Dec 24th, 2003 at 7:49pm

Hello Everyone!
   My mother 53yr old(Brenda) had sta-mca bypass on the right side of her brain DEc. 12th. Dr. Rose in Houston tx performed the surgery. The surgery went well, but one and one-half hrs. after my mom had a stroke on the left side of her brain. The stroke happened in the wernikes areas of her brain. It affects all parts of her speech (her ability to express language and her ability to receive it). She also looks only to the left. She is still at Methodist Hosp. She has an infection. We do not know what from yet. When she gets well medically she will go to The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research in Houston Tx. What is hard is that my mother walked into the hosp. the day before her surgery and know she cannot understand what we say to her and cannot communicate  with us. I miss talking with her terribly. Does anyone have any advice or words of encouragement? Please pray for my mother!
Thank you D.J. for this oppurtunity to communicate with other moyamoya survivors.
                                      A. K. BeAUMONT TX

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Re: surgery good, then bad news
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2003 at 12:59am

Hi AK,

I'm so sorry to hear that your Mom had the strokes. My God, I can't even imagine what you must be going through. I wish I had the right words to say to you. I can say that miricles do happen. I've seen them. Maybe your Mom has just been through so much and she's resting up and is going  to come around in time. I've seen remarkable progress from strokes. Hang in there AK and please know that you and your Mom are in my prayers.

God Bless,
Mar

IP Logged

pupuki
New Poster

I love Pooh bears!

Honolulu, USA, usa, 371, 343, HI, Hawaii
Reply #2 - Dec 25th, 2003 at 5:24pm

Dear AK,

I'm really sorry to hear this news about your mother.
I don't know what to say, but we do believe in miracles too.  Please know that know that you, your mother and family will be in my family prayers.

Aloha,
Pooh

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2003 at 9:03am

AK, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother!  Hopefully she will recover quickly!

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.  We will be here for you if you need to talk...

Smiley

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

doug
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

pomona, USA, CA, California
Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2003 at 10:37am

Hi AK,

I am an example of miracles happening. When I had my stroke, it also affected my speech along with the entire right side of my body. Some higher force must have been looking out for me because I was able to regain 95% of speech over the course of my recovery. I had my stroke Sept. 02. And I am an English major, too! To this day, I am still working on it. I guess you can say I'm  a work in progress. But then again, aren' t we all?

Personally, for me I just had difficulty expressing myself. My thoughts were never affected. Just finding & putting the words together un a coherent manner was difficult. It was frustrating like hell but my family and fiance got me through it by talking to me everyday even though I couldn't  respond. Don't ever feel like you're not doing enough because you are doing all you can. You are reminding her she has someone to talk to after she she gets her speech back. Smiley

Just keep talking to her. You & your mother are in our family's prayers.

Doug

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 10:42am

Hi ak,    My daughter had 4 strokes one year ago to the day yesterday and she was unconsious for 1 week and lost all her speech for a while, today she has her speech almost completely back her response time is a little slow sometimes but still getting better, hang in there she will regain even if it takes time Many still has a long way to go but still keeps improving. Keep the faith we will all pray trust me from someone who knows the power of prayers is remarkable. Good Luck.     Nancy

IP Logged

susie-q
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

lakewood, USA, usa, 424, 119, OH, Ohio
Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2004 at 11:29am

Crybe aware that miracles do happen...i am a survivor of moyamoya disease...i have had one minor and one major stroke that affected my right side...this year i started having t.i.a's that affected my left side...i had surgery on the right side of my head...since then i have not had any t.i.a's and have slowly improved every day...have hope and god bless

sue quintana

IP Logged

elaine
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sanford, USA, usa, 465, 285, FL, Florida
Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2004 at 7:53pm

Hello  AK,

I am a moyamoya surviver too.  I am 53 and had my first brain surgery at 48, I had a stroke during my surgery that left me with the brain of a 7--8 year old, and it effected my emotional side too.  I laugh when I see someone get hurt  Smiley and I cry over nothing at all ( I still do that ) however my brain is alot better now ( I'm probably back at 53 now) So this is too let you know that your Mom will come back, she just needs time. It was almost a year before I was able to think like an adult.  I also had the strokes where it imparied my speech and that lasted about a month.  Just remember God works miracles--AMEN

God Bless and you and Mom will be in my prayers !!!!
Prayers Do Work !!!!!!  Elaine

Elaine
Elaine  
IP Logged

veronesi
New Poster

My Daughter is a Supergirl

Massachusetts, USA, MA, Massachusetts
Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 7:48am

My prayers are with you.  God bless you all.

Moyamoya Dad

IP Logged

janicetedd
Experienced Poster

Sister - Patty w mm

Waterford, MI
Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 10:09pm

Dear AK,

Please be srong, your mom needs you more than ever.  My sister has MM and had a major incident in Feb 01.  At Mayo clinic she was not able to hold her own head up.  She is such a fighter and your mom will get better.  Keep the faith and know that we are all pulling and praying for you and your mom. 

Janice

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge