Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adult MM (Read 7624 times)
jv
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

xx, Finland
Adult MM
Jan 8th, 2004 at 6:18am

Hello Tony (and others)

I saw your message on DJ's moyamoya page (guest book). I just want to encourage you that not all moyamoya cases are rapidly progressing ones.The entire diagnosis is a bit hazy. I'm 40 years old male and diagnosed with MM two years ago after I had, during one single day, three short episodes of left side weakness. The diagnosis was done after arteriograms.

I'm on small doses of aspirin daily, and have had no further episodes after that. The blockage in the artery remains, moyamoya vessels are there and I do get a mild headache when not enough sleep, not enough of fresh air, too rigorous exercise. No further blockage is apparent in repeated arteriograms, to be honest doctors can't quarantee when the process of blocking has started and whether it will proceed. If it will proceed, it is up to the normal regulation processes of brain circulation if it can keep up with the blockage (compensatory circulation).

During summer time, I run 3-5 times weekly, on winter I mostly do cross-country skiing. I try to pay attention to my diet. I'm considering training for a marathon. I understand I'm a potential stroke patient (bleeding or blocking), but I just want to say that research suggests that a part of adult MM patient may live fairly normal life. This conclusion is based on my reading through MM related medical articles available in the medical journals. Hope I'm right on this one.

God bless you all.

JV

IP Logged

alice_moya
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

west hartford, USA, CT, Connecticut
Re: Adult MM
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 4:51pm

Your drive is very encouraging and gives hope.  I have had Moyamoya since 1964 and I am female.  I am 63 years old, and just had my 40 year anniverseray with the disease.  ;GrinThe doctor told me that this disease is fatal eventually.  What do you think?  I have mixed feelings about this.  Part of me is ready to go.  This was big news.  However my prayer goes out that you can remain as active as possible.
Alice

IP Logged

jv
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

xx, Finland
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 4:11am

Hi Alice

Although we both could do wihout having MM, it is very nice to hear you have been around since 1964 (the year I was born  Smiley). My first reaction when finding out about MM was desperate, told my kids about it waay too dramatically etc. I just hope you keep hanging there, I keep hanging here. Best wishes to everybody else less lucky than I am, human body and modern medicine can do wonders.

How were you diagnosed 1964, I guess you have been diagnosed afterwards, and supposed you had MM already back then.

jv

IP Logged

Annica
Experienced Poster

My daughter lives with
mm

Stockholm, Sweden, europe, 317, 154
Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 5:11am

Hi Alice and the rest of the moyamoyaboard!

It gives me great comfort that you have been able to live with this disease for 40 years bur I must ask you did you have surgery and when was that? It also terrifies me that the doctors told you this disease is fatal eventually; what does that mean????? Were you told this 40 years ago or recently and who told you, some countrysidedoctor or a neurosurgeon?

My daughter is 7 years old, had her surgery about a year ago, has no mm-symthoms and I am not going to let her die on me!!!!!
Has anybody else heard that mm is fatal eventually and from whom? Do they mean all mm-cases or just some of them. I´m confused!

Annica  Smiley

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 10:13am

Hi Annica,

I'm certainly no expert, but I have did extensive research on mm and absolutely nowhere has it ever said that mm syndrome is eventually fatal if you've had the surgery. Yes, it does say it is fatal if left untreated, but only left untreated. jv is suggesting it may be ok if left untreated in some cases. Absolutely no where have I ever read that! Surgery is the mainstay of treatment for mm syndrome because along with progressive narrowing of the brain blood vessels, the patients clinical condition eventually will worsen. That is why the surgery is so important. As far as Alice's statement of a fatal prognosis... well, I can't speak for her but I'm sure she wasn't speaking for all. That may just be in her case. Every case is different depending on the health status at the time of the first diagnosis and hers being 40 years ago. After surgery, all research studies to date says the prognosis is good, but again, every case is different depending on each individual and their various medical conditions.
Please don't worry. We've been told that follow up is extremely important. This forms the basis of their knowledge regarding prognosis and ultimate outcome of this condition.

Mar Smiley

IP Logged

alice_moya
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

west hartford, USA, CT, Connecticut
Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 2:13pm

Hello everyone
Sorry.   I didn't mean to alarm anyone.  My case is progressive, and out of the ordinary, since my surgery didn't occur since 20 years after I was showing symptoms.  Your daughter has alot better chance than me since they thought I had MS in the 60's , as Moyamoya was not a known disease.  But use me as inspiration to go ahead with the surgery and soon. 
Yours truly,
Alice

IP Logged

jv
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

xx, Finland
Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2004 at 3:01am

Studies suggest that unilateral (narrowing and MM vessels only at one side) type, especially in adults, maybe a distinct form from typical bilateral form of MM. Classification is hazy here, and ofter terms "moyamoya syndrome" or "quasi-moyamoya" have been used.

I agree that not all have the luxury to sit and wait (carefully monitoring arteria through regular angiograms and paying attention to symptoms), but those cases do exist.

Cheers
jv
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2004 at 3:08am by jv »  

IP Logged

kathy
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

northpalmbeach, USA, usa, 482, 300, FL, Florida
Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2004 at 1:30am

MY NEUROLOGY  DR DAVID LEE GORDON TOLD ME THE GOOD THING IS THAT THIS DISEASE MOYAMOYA DOES STOP AT SOME TIME.  THAT SINCE I WAS 42 NOW IT MAY BE ANOTHER YEAR OR IT MAY BE WHEN I AM 50.  THAT THEY DID NOT KNOW WHEN IT WOULD STOP.  BUT WHAT THEY DID KNOW IS IT DOES EVENTUALLY STOP IN ADULTS.

KATHY

IP Logged

siri
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Dillon, USA, CO, Colorado
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 4:59pm

I guess I also fall in the "unusual" category of only having the disease unilaterall--at least so far!  My doctor told me that maybe the moyamoya had "run its course" on me because I am 5 years out from my STA bypass and he said the additional vessel damage should be much more extensive if it was going to be really aggressive.  I don't know about this and am hoping to have my case reviewed by Dr. Steinberg for a 2nd opinion.  Regarding follow up, my doctor doesn't recommend anything like annual angiograms due to their risk.  They generally would only do it if I am having bad symptoms I think.  this is the thing  I hate the most--you feel like a walking time bomb wondering when it's going to get another vessel! I've decided the best thing is to adopt the attitude that it's run its course and hope that pans out!

Siri

IP Logged

jane
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Mesa, USA, CA, California
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 12:59pm

Hello,

My 42 year old husband suffered multiple ischemic stroke and was diagnosed with moyamoya in 12/02.  He suffered 100% occlusion to the interior carotid and subsequently underwent an STA to MCA bypass and burr holes at UCLA.  A review of his films by UCLA neurologists, neurosurgeons, and neuro-radiologists have determined that, at this point,  the vascular disease is unilateral only which is not typical of moyamoya disease.  Also, in his case, he does not have the tell-tale "puff of smoke" appearance of abnormal vessel growth.  All the moyamoya experts seem to agree that he may not have moya moya, however, it's a tricky disease and, in the absence of another reason for his vascular disease, it hasn't been ruled out.  He is doing extremely well since his surgery and, although he has some minor deficits from the stroke, has had no further symptoms or problems.  Does anyone out there have a similar story?   We are told it is extremely important for him to be monitored to determine whether there is any progression. (at this point, every 6-9 months he needs an MRI, a CT Angiogram, and a Perfusion Study)  For anyone out there who has this disease, I would consider a second opinion if you're not getting periodic testing.

IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2004 at 2:45pm

JV:

When I first started having TIA's, I was 8 years old. My MM was only on one side of my brain, and therefore, they told my parents it WAS NOT MM. Now, of course, they realize that it can be on one side only. Anyways, the reason I am telling you this is because, MM presented on one side of my brain, and then the other. It took them a while to figure it out.

It also worries me that you haven't had a surgery. I have always been very active, but I always knew that I am just lucky that I had surgery BEFORE having a stroke. I do not mean to alarm you, I just think you should get a second opinion maybe: if they think you don't need surgery. And the only reason is that I care. I am now 23, and have only my docs to thank!   Kiss

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge