Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tell me more about the surgery (Read 2945 times)
sisinlaw
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Beatrice, USA, NE, Nebraska
Tell me more about the surgery
Feb 8th, 2004 at 7:00pm

Hey everyone I just got here. I've read quite a bit about surgery. Can anyone tell me, Is there ever a time when it's too late for the surgery? I mean for some reason after my sister-in-laws massive stroke, the surgery was dimissed.

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Re: Tell me more about the surgery
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 8:47pm

Hi sisinlaw,

I personally don't think it's EVER "too late" for surgery!  I think Mandy, Nancy and Mar might agree with me on this one!

I don't understand why they would decide not to do the surgery after a stroke?

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 9:41pm

I agree with D.J. it can never be to late. My daughter Mandy had 4 strokes and was only 20yrs. old last year. After her brain cooled down for about a month she got surgery on both sides of her brain it saved her life it sure wasn't to late by my experience. Dr. Steinberg is her doctor in CA. if your interested we can give you info. to contact him, I somehow don't think he'll think its to late. He's one of the best. Good Luck!! Smiley ;Grin
                                      Nancy

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 9:49pm

DJ wrote on Feb 8th, 2004 at 8:47pm:
Hi sisinlaw, I personally don't think it's EVER "too late" for surgery!  I think Mandy, Nancy and Mar might agree with me on this one!

AMEN!  I agree with you Deej!! This we can speak about with first hand knowledge. The doctors here wouldn't even discuss surgery after Mandy's massive strokes, but thanks to DJ and this website, Nancy sought a second opinion from Dr. Steinberg, (an expert on moyamoya) who did the surgery immediately and thank God, she's improved remarkably!!! I'll always believe that the surgery and restoring the blood flow as quick as they did saved her life and prevented further damage.

IP Logged

janicetedd
Experienced Poster

Sister - Patty w mm

Waterford, MI
Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 6:11am

Hi everyone,

I agree with all of the above.  My sister Patty was diagnosed with mm 12/97.  She was being treated at mayo Clinic in Rochester Minn.  (I sure with this website existed back then.) She had a massive stroke 02/01.  She was left blind,   a quadraplegic, on briefs, and on a feeding tube.  She was in a funk for about one year.  On a trip to her neurologist in Oct 02, I mentioned to her doctor if Mayo Clinic cared about Patty.  She said a follow-up visit was in order.  Her husband contacted Mayo Clinic and they wanted her immediately.  She had the first surgery  12/05/02 and the second surgery  01/28/03.   Patty has come a long way and still has a long way to go.  We had her last month at Florida Neurological Institute in Clearwater Beach.  She is on a good road.  We hope someday she will walk.  Patty says - she will walk. 

Please know --it is never too late.  Do not stop.  I struggle with -- what if Patty had the surgeries before the big incident.
Check out this website for possible additional help with her stroke recovery. 

http://www.floridaneurologicalinstitute.com/\

Again, it is never too late.  Do not settle for less for  your sister in law.

Janice

IP Logged

jane
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Mesa, USA, CA, California
Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2004 at 3:54pm

Hi Sisinlaw,

I have to wonder why your being told it's too late for surgery post-stroke.  My husband had surgery after his stroke.  Is your in-law being seen by a neurologist familiar with moyamoya.  If not, I strongly suggest they do.

Jane

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge