Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
my brother (Read 7802 times)
jaredsis
New Poster

brooklyn, USA, NY, New_York
my brother
Apr 14th, 2004 at 6:17pm

Hi..
  my name is Kristin. my brother Jared was diagnosed with moya moya about a month ago.We are from Brooklyn New York. His first sergury is scheduled for the 30 of april in new york city.It is for an indirect bypass. My mother decided to speak to a doctor in california who looked at his pictures and says that he should have the direct bypass. we are all very confused and arent very sure who we should go with.Were not sure what would be the better surgury..
so i was wondering if anyone on here knew anything and can maybe help us with this situation because we really dont have that much time!
thanks

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Re: my brother
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2004 at 8:42pm

Hi Kristin,  Smiley

I don't know what Dr.s you're speaking of, but what's important in my opinion is the Neurosurgeon with the most experience with moyamoya. We had a similar situation with our family. The doctors here at the big Unniversity hospital in Philadelphia said one thing and we too sought a second opinion from Dr. Steinberg a leading expert on moyamoya at Stanford in California and he said the opposite. We looked at his credentials and found out that Dr. Steinberg lectures all over the country on mm and has done hundreds of surgeries for moyamoya compared to the few done here in Philly by these doctors and we chose the obvious, Dr. Steinberg and the STA-MCA (direct method) and we believe it saved her life.

As far as the two different types of surgery, there is the direct and in-direct method as you said. There are several different types of revascularization (restoration of blood supply) surgery that may be performed in some cases. Children usually respond better to revascularization surgery than adults. But each case and type of surgery depends on the individuals case and degree of moyamoya and patients medical history. One gives immediately blood suppy and the other, such in children has a growth factor of blood supply. Dr Steinberg usually does the STA-MCA surgery (which is considered the "direct" method).  Dr. Scott, from Boston, another leading and outstanding expert on mm usually does the EDAS or EMS surgery.(which is considered the "in-dierect" method.)
A third opinion from one of these experts is always an option as well.

I don't know if I helped any in that explanation Kristin, but please know you and Jared will be in my prayers and I pray that the best decision will be made.

Please keep us updated. Smiley

God bless,
Mar

IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

Hi, My son Tyler was diagnosed
with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 12:00am

Kristen,
Mar is right. Talk to the doctors. My son was 11 when diagnosed and the doctors wanted to do the indirect method here in CO. In my research, I found the direct method was suposed to be better. I point blank asked the CO doctors the difference. They totally ignored my question, until I asked them to send a copy of the test to Dr. Steinberg. I told them too late, I needed someone that was willing to answer my questions. So ask all the questions you can, and don't let them ignore you. I had to cancel a scheduled surgery here without knowing if I had a way to get to CA, it ended taking another 3 months to get surgery scheduled in CA, but it was worth knowing my son was getting the best care. I'm just very glad he didn't have another stroke waiting.
Rena

I've learned to never underestimate the impossible. -Blake Sheldon-&&There are no failures, just options tried. -Thomas Edison-&&
http://www.facebook.com/wldrtst?v=wall&story_fbid= oneofakindco  
IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 11:06am

Hi Kristin,

As you are finding out, there are differences between the two different types of surgeries (direct vs. in-direct).

There is plenty of information on this site (and linked from this site) about both types of surgery.  Follow the links on the "Medical Info" part of the menu bar to research them further.

As Mar stated, the decision to have a certain type of surgery depends on the patient, progression of the moyamoya vessels, and personal preference.

Your family should make an informed decision on which type of surgery would be best for your brother and seek out a doctor who will help.

Hope this helps some!  If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask us!

Smiley

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

jaredsis
New Poster

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 5:25pm

Thank you all for giving me your imput on this situation. I know that my mother is weighing more towards the direct method now since she has also spoken to a doctor in boston to get his opinion on it.He agreed with the doctor in california.
I think shes just waiting on my brothers general doctor.He is supposed to be asking a doctor that works at NYU for his opinion.Hes going to be getting back to her tomorrow and then I guess shes going to have to make the decision.
I know all of you understand the difficulty of the situation. Its very hard when theres so many doctors out there and hardly any of them know information on this disease. Im just happy that I found this website and all of you caring people are giving me some sort of information.
Ill make sure to keep you updated on whats going on.
Thanks again
                         Kristin

IP Logged

DianeMain
Experienced Poster

My sister, PatM, has moyamoya.

San Jose, USA, usa, 23, 160, CA, California
Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 8:30pm

Hi Kristin.  My sister lives in NJ, very close to NYC, and she's having the first of two EDAS surgeries tomorrow.  (The second one is in June.)  My impression has been that doctors who really know about moyamoya are few and far between.  Dr. Sander Connolly and New York Columbia Presbyterian Hospital is apparently THE guy for the NYC area.  Has your family been in touch with him?  That's who is doing my sister's surgeries.

God Bless!
Diane in California

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -- Bill Watterson (1958 - ), cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

IP Logged

tomg
Experienced Poster

West and wewaxsation at
wast. What I crave.

HowellNJ, USA, usa, 499, 119, NJ, New_Jersey
Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 9:08pm

SmileyHi Kristin, This is Tom G.  I've spoken to your mother twice on the phone and cooresponded with your sister by e-mail about Jared.
    I had a similar dilema involving the same 2 doctors.  I had  a CTA scan and a perfusion CT scan at NY Presbyterian Hosp about a month ago.  My Doctor,  (Dr. Conolly) said that I dont need surgery at this time.   because my blood flow was excellent and At this time I'm Asynptomatic.   I have tremendous faith, confidence and respect in Dr. Conolly's knowledge and skill with MoyaMoya but after reading this web site and talking to some of you I felt that I owed it to myself to see what Dr S.  on the west coast had to say so I sent him my scans.  His nurse called me and said that Dr. S felt that I needed surgery SmileySo now what!!?   His nurse also said that DR. S. is very agressive with MoyaMoya and always recomends surgery.
    The next day I talked with Dr. Conolly and told him what Dr. S said.  Dr. Conolly asked my wife and I to come in to his office.  There he spent over an hour reviewing my scans and explaining that I have very little stenosis and that I slso had excellent vessels providing excellent blood flow.  He stressed that Brain surgery is nothing to take lightly and should only be done when absolutely necessary.  He also said that he could do a bypass on me, but that it would be of no particular help to my condition, especially that I have no symptoms.
    Kristen, I'm not a doctor but my brother is a pediatric surgeon and we both agree with Dr. Conolly's logic.  Jared is in excellent hands so tell your mom That I said hello and to stay with Dr. Conolly I think he's the best.  I'm sure I'll need surgery eventually. 
    By the way Pat Martin is having her surgery tomorrow april 16th by Dr. Conolly remember to pray for her.
    Sorry to be so long winded but it's a long story.
    Take care Tom G.
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2004 at 1:35pm by tomg »  

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 7:54am

Kristin,
         Can I asked how old Jared is? I understand what toms saying but Dr. Steinberg is one of the best if not thee best in his field, I really don't believe he would do an unecessary surgery. There are very very many people on this site who have gone to him for surgery. My feeling is you don't want to wait until you have symptoms because by them it can be to late and cause alot of damage like my daughter has experienced and has been rehabing for almost a year and a half and is still incontinent and almost totally dependent on me. So many people are not diagnosed with this in time but Jared is lucky because alot of times by the time they are so much damage is done. Good Luck with your decision, we will all be here for your family and our thoughts and prayers are certainly with you.
                                       Nancy ;Grin Smiley

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 9:26am

Hi Kristin -

You are going to hear a lot of advise on this board all revolving around different experiences.  I think the bottom line is that your brother needs to do what's best for him.  Brain Surgery is NOT a thing you should take lightly and I think Dr. Sander is giving you excellent advise.  If you need to get a 3rd, or 4th, or 5th opinion by all means do it!  Do whatever you need to do to help you come up with the right decision.  The job of a Surgeon is to operate - plain and simple.  I did have 2 surgeries, EDAS with Dr. Scott, however, I was symptomatic.  I can't tell you what's right for you.   But whatever you decide to do, I would make sure you keep in touch with the doctor - keep a journal if needed - and let you neuro know if anything changes.  (By the way - when I say you I really mean your brother!).  Good luck!

-Shari  Smiley

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 9:54am

Kristin,

I have to add one more point...The reason Dr. Steinberg is aggresssive, is this disease is progressive, no doubt about it, not because he is a surgeon would he EVER suggest surgery. Whether you are Asymptomatic or not, this is a progresive and devastating disease. Some progress at different stages, true... but Dr. Steinberg knows the ramifications of this disease and the time issue involved better than anyone. He has more experience than most in the entire country. Once there is damage from a stroke...well you can read the posts. Waiting to have surgery in any case is still a time bomb ticking, no matter what stage your at with moyamoya. Sorry to be blunt, but the facts are there. You though, have to make, as DJ said, an informed decision on what's best for you and we're behind you and praying for you all the way.  Read all you can about it, that helps you feel more confident in your decision making.

Good luck and God bless,

Mar

IP Logged

jaredsis
New Poster

Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 6:50pm

Hello All-
     I just want to thank you all again for all the information you have been giving me and my family.
To answer one of the questions..my brother is a 23 year old with Downs Syndrome.I understand what everyone is saying though that it goes by the person and how far along theirs is.
I think my mother has decided to go with the doctor in New York due to the fact that my brothers insurance company is saying that it will take a while for all of the paper work to go through.
She says that if the paperwork goes through by the 30 then hes meant to go to California. If not..hes meant to stay here.
My mother trusts the doctor in the city, its just getting 2 different opinions makes it just that much harder to decide what to do.
She just doesnt want to wait. She doesnt want to take the chance of something happening again. He has passed out around 4 times in the past 3 years. We thought thats all it was come to find out now that it was all mini strokes.
Thank you all again I really appreciate all the comments, opinions and support you all have given my family and me. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge