Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
misdiagnosis (Read 5384 times)
ariannasmommy
Experienced Poster

^i^Angel Arianna^i^

Herrin, USA, usa, 361, 171, IL, Illinois
misdiagnosis
May 3rd, 2004 at 11:33pm

I have obtained a very good attorney in St. Louis.  What we are looking at is the misdiagnosis of the strokes.  The stroke she suffered in November ultimately sentenced her to death.  Had we diagnosed strokes earlier, we would have diagnosed Moyamoya.  It is kinda falling second to everything.  She suffered from this for many years.  She never met any milestones and functioned on the level of a three year old.  She constantly forgot the things she learned and had complete personality changes.  All they ever wanted to do was bloodwork.  That is what we are suing over.  I have also found out that this law firm has filed other malpractice suits against Arianna's pediatrician.  There is not a single doctor who had heard of Moyamoya before Arianna. She drew all sorts of media attention. I guess what really bothers me is that I continue to hear from Boston, St. Louis, which is where she was diagnosed within 3 days, and from many people who work in the clinic where her doctor practices.  I have never heard a word from her pediatrician, or the neurologist who she was referred to in September.  She never did an MRI, only bloodwork and they failed to acknowledge that her EEG was abnormal.  She gave them all of the signs and they ignored them.  I cannot let this go, I cannot sit here, knowing what I know and let them think this standard of care is acceptable.  If I lose, then I do.  But it will not be before it has gotten extensive coverage and people know the kind of doctors we are dealing with here in Southern Illinois. I told them she was having strokelike symptoms, I took her to the emergency room and told them the tests that her neurologist wanted run, and they laughed at me and said I was just an overproctective mother who was looking for answers as to why her child was retarded.  It has been the longest year of my life and because of their ineptitude, I lost my daughter.  I want to make sure none of us or anyone else has to go through the kinds of things I went through.  The guilt I have for not switching doctors, or letting her first stroke go as overdoing it on a summerday.  I will never forgive myself for these things.  I don't ever want another parent to tell a doctor what their child is doing and get laughed at or told you don't know what you are talking about because I went to medical school and you didn't.  This is the only way to make them listen and to understand. I don't expect everyone to understand or even support what I am doing.  If it saves another family from being torn apart, it is worth it to me.  I bet another child in Southern Illinois doesn't get misdiagnosed after I am through with this.  Sorry to be so bitter.  Mother's day is coming up and I work at a Hallmark store.  This is a really hard time for me.
If Arianna had survived her surgery, I would still be seeking legal council. We should never have been treated like we were ignorant. 
If nothing else, I want those people to acknowledge Arianna's death. 
Thanks for listening, I promise not to be so gloomy next time I post.  I will post about Arianna, or "Nonnie" as we called her so you all can get to know a little more about her.  That will be better.

Tammy Carter
munbby2004  
IP Logged

Laura
Junior Poster

Monroe, USA, usa, 329, 245, LA, Louisiana
Re: misdiagnosis
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2004 at 12:04am

My heart truly goes out to you.  I, too was misdiagnosed for over 12 years!  It took me having a stroke on Jan. 25th of this year and sent from my hometown of Monroe, LA to Dallas, Texas to get an official diagnosis.  I am a 39 year old mother of two daughters and I feel your pain in your words you write.  Except mine is reversed.  I am living my life each day wondering if I will have a another stroke that takes my life away from  my small daughters and leaves them without a mother to teach them everything that they need to know.  I know it does not compare to the loss that you have experienced.  My prayers will be with you that this lawsuit will help you along with others in the future.  May the Lord bless you and give you peace during your dark days.   No one can truly know how you feel unless they have lost a child.  And it seems as though your daughters life was lost unnecessisarily due to the doctor not ordering a simple MRI or arteriorgram.  You have found a wonderful website and we are all like family.  We welcome you with open arms. God Bless Smiley

IP Logged

janicetedd
Experienced Poster

Sister - Patty w mm

Waterford, MI
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2004 at 5:24am

Hi Tammy

Please keep us up to date,  I am sure Arianna is looking over all other mm'ers. 

Janice

IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

Hi, My son Tyler was diagnosed
with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2004 at 9:36am

Tammy,
I truely feel your fustration and a bit of your pain. When Tyler had his stroke it lasted 12 hours and they just watched it happen at the hospital. Since I told them he had mild CP (so mild you couldn't tell by looking at him) They tried to say it was normal for his left side to be weak. He couldn't move his left arm at all after his stroke and the doctor said it was tired from jerking for 12 hours. They were going to release Tyler from the hospital with no meds and orders to rest, luckily our PCP finally came on duty and tells me, "I'm wondering if he didn't have a stroke?" I can only Thank God that one doctor realized my son's arm wasn't just "tired".

I've learned to never underestimate the impossible. -Blake Sheldon-&&There are no failures, just options tried. -Thomas Edison-&&
http://www.facebook.com/wldrtst?v=wall&story_fbid= oneofakindco  
IP Logged

PatM
Experienced Poster

Woodcliff Lake, USA, usa, 498, 109, NJ, New_Jersey
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2004 at 10:57am

Tammy---my heart bleeds for your loss----Remember, I have an excellent med mal attorney in NJ who may be willing to serve as an expert witness-----He is  simply the best and I would like to put him in touch with your attorney in St. Louiis........God will help you through this, and we moyamoyers will, too. Allow yourself to be open to His healing powers in your time of grief and sorrow.  Your Angel is watching over you and guiding you through this to bring peace, healing and guidance to all moyamoyers.  All human motivation is usually through love or fear.......your decision to bring a lawsuit is a conscious choice to allow your actions to spring forth from love, not fear.  So, in your own way, even though you may not realize it now, you are putting God first.

We are right there with you, love.  God Bless.  Pat

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."...Jackie Robinson&&Worry looks around....Faith looks up......
psmartinlaw  
IP Logged

sandy
New Poster

three of my children have
mm

asheboro, USA, usa, 469, 186, NC, North_Carolina
Reply #5 - May 4th, 2004 at 12:29pm

Tammy,my heart goes out to you i hope that you will be able to accomplish what you are seeking i am so glad that you have the courage to do this un like myself i let things go i tried so hard to get a diagnosis for savannah but after 3 yrs of hearing that it was just a freak thing that only happens to one in ten million and it couldnt possiblely  happen to you again i  finally gave it a rest and excepted that there was nothing to be done for her. but then i had my secound child he was 2mths old when he had his first stroke the drs. said it was shaking baby syndrome and called social services they come out and took my children from me but i was so upset i called a lawyer on the spot i got my children back that nite but only if i signed alot of paper work and let one of my parents move in with me so that i could be supervised at all times with my children  these strokes continued to happen but my dad and i drove to another hospotal an hour away cause we were scared they would take them again. even that hospital couldnt dignosis them but we were fortunte enough to find dr. scott on the web and fly to boston i even feel guilty sometimes when i look at savannah and wished she could have been dignosised properly but i just thank god that i know now cause now i have twins and since we knew what to look for i went straight to boston with them as soon as they were born only one had the mm and surgery was done quick enough that you cant tell sandy has mm but my other 2 are severly handicap because ofthe dr. saying its nothing you are just worring to much and then saying i was trying to cover up that i abused them and to this day i will not take them to that hospital and noone there has call
ed me to apoligise and i know they know caused i called to tell them my children were dignosised with moyamoya i am sorry this was so long i just want you to know that you are an amazing woman of strength and courage. go get em girl!!!!!!                                          

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge