Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MM how long does it take to "develop"? (Read 5888 times)
moyamoi
Ex Member

MM how long does it take to "develop"?
Jun 3rd, 2005 at 7:58pm

Hi guys, does anyone know how long it takes for MM to develop? For example I want to know if it can develop as a child with no symptoms and only come to light in your 30' or 40's. For example in my case, I only found out I had it when I was 38 and had a stroke. Could I have had it and not know it 6 years earlier when I had my first child, or could I just have developed it over a couple of years? Does anyone know? Smiley
moira

IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

Hi, My son Tyler was diagnosed
with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Re: MM how long does it take to "develop"
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 10:25pm

Unfortunately MM is one of those things that the doctors don't know enough about to be sure about. The thing is if you have it now then you need to watch your child just in case. Sometimes children have it when the mother has it, sometimes the mother is the only one in the family to have it. Dang, MM is still too new.

I've learned to never underestimate the impossible. -Blake Sheldon-&&There are no failures, just options tried. -Thomas Edison-&&
http://www.facebook.com/wldrtst?v=wall&story_fbid= oneofakindco  
IP Logged

Aphrodite-cat
New Poster

I have had moya moya since
5 or 6. I'm Now 24

Glasgow, Scotland, europe, 167, 184
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 4:40am

In scotland it's extremely rare for it to be passed down throught the genetic blood lines, I know in that in Japan, they seen to have a stronger stain that we do in Scotland. It can run all through the family over there.  As for the development. the experts are still trying to pin point why certain people get it and some don't. I myself have had it since I was 5ish and no one else in my family has.

IP Logged

moyamoi
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 5:41am

aphroditecat, You say you have had MM since you were 5 or 6. How did you know? Did you always have symptoms or when you were finally diagnosed did they give you an idea of how long you may have had it?

IP Logged

kotipup
Experienced Poster

My daughter, Daphne, has
Moyamoya

Landenberg, USA, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 3:52pm

That's a good question.  My daughter was diagnosed with moyamoya at 15 months old, after two strokes.  However, we feel she had it since birth - maybe even beginning before birth.   She was very colicky as an infant and started having seizures at three months old.  Her first CT scan showed mildly prominent extra-axial fluid spaces, which we now beleive was early evidence that her brain was losing mass (every imaging study since then has shown the extra-axial fluid spaces getting more prominent) due to lack of blood flow. 

Daphne also had a congenital heart defect that has been linked to moyamoya disease (coarctation of the aorta).

Jenny

IP Logged

ExtremeLife1986
Junior Poster

Live For Today !!!!

Boynton Beach, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 9:07pm

Hello. My name is Brad I have moya moya. I was diagnosed when i was 18 late november/early december. I am 19 years. I started having symptoms in november find out i had a stroke. Like written about you can have sysmptoms out of no where or have them over time. I had my symptoms out of no where. Moya Moya is still confusing docotrs every where. Unfortanutly all you can do is have surgery and hope and pray for the best.

ßrad
Live4Today Live4Today1986  
IP Logged

CarasMOM
Old-Time Poster

My 11 year old Cara has
MM.

Sedalia, Missouri
Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 10:48pm

Not enough known of MM to have a track record ... simply too many variations from one person to another...I would only imagine one is born with it, has the gene for it that sometime in their life they will be affected by it.  Im pretty sure Cara has had it since birth...though she was adopted so wouldn't say it runs in our family either.  At first the doctor said it may not be full blown (surgery needed) until her 20's or 30's....so we figured we had time on our side....but that wasn't the case...as she had to have surgery at age 6.  Many people never know they have it...simply have a major stroke and pass away.   I read about one female (38yrs old)that was having her ovaries removed but died on the operating table because the asethesologist didn't know she had MM...she had a stroke and went into a coma...the asethesologist asked her parents if they knew she had MM...and they had NO IDEA...had they known ..she'd probably be still alive....so I'm sure there are people out there that have MM but don't know yet.
Like cancer...some spread over a period of years...other spread as fast as "throw a bucket of water".  Varies too much to have some sort of record, diagnosis to compare with other cases....one just has to watch the "signals your body gives", keep up with annual followups...never know if your time with MM is just around the corner or on the other side of the world...but the more you know, the more you are prepared, the better you can deal with it.    SmileyCarasMOM

Warm Hugs and Prayers, CarasMOM (Carol)

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2005 at 3:52am

My daughter Tara was diagnosed with MM at age 17.  Prior to that, she was diagnosed with migraines at age 6.  Her first MRI (at 17) showed that she had had two small strokes, which were very old, maybe even occurring before she was born.

The bottom line is that we suspect she's had MM most of her life, but we'll never know for sure exactly when it started.

Ditto to what others have said - there's not enough of a MM "track record" to answer your question clearly, Moira.  Everyone seems to have a different story and set of circumstances, and until there's more awareness within the medical profession, we just can't say for sure.

Wish I could offer more of an answer . . . sorry!

Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2005 at 1:14pm

When I was first diagnosed I was told that my MM probably developed when I was a lot younger - that I'd had it a long time but didn't become symptomatic until I was 28.  The thought was due to the extensive collateral vesels that had formed.  Knowing what I know now, I can look back and attribute symptoms of MM way back to when I was 14, at least. 

Bottom line, though, as everyone else has already said - there is still a lot that is unknown about MM, including where it comes from. 

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2005 at 6:31pm

Hi Moira

My brother Kevin had a significant stroke at the age of 43.  About 6 months prior to the stroke he had TIA's.  Even after his stroke he wasn't diagnosed with moyamoya.  His doctors, at that time, thought he had FMD but he was later diagnosed with a dissected right upper internal carotid artery.  It wasn't until a year ago (4 years later) that he was actually diagnosed with moyamoya after an angiogram.  Keep in mind, he had several previous angiograms that did not indicate moyamoya vessels.  As you have read from  others, it is different for everyone.  Statistically, from present data, which I believe is changing rapidly, the majority of MM cases show up in the first and fourth decade of life.  Additionally, there are always those cases wherein MM may be present but simply not diagnosed because  its rare and therefore, unknown to some doctors.  MM continues  to be mysterious in many ways. Perhaps someday soon we will know more as the word of MM travels.

Lore

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

itsme
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

aliso viejo, USA, CA, California
Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 2:23pm

Hi Aphrodite-Cat,

One question since you had it since 5, how are you being treated. Did you have surgery? Any more sypmtoms?

Thanks for your information.

itsme

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge