Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What to take for a cold? (Read 16047 times)
riosdallas
Junior Poster

Life is an Opportunity
That we benefit from

Templeton, USA, usa, 510, 83, MA, Massachusetts
What to take for a cold?
Oct 12th, 2005 at 8:35am

Hello MM Friends,
       I was diagnosed last january with mm, the 2 yrs before that and pretty much the winter months leadind up to that I never really took muck at all except Tylenol. I would try something and get a reaction from it. Now we know why the MM. Also had direct bypass in July of 2005. Just wanted to know what other mm friends have taken and if it worked.   Thanks for your help.
Smiley Smiley Smiley                                       Lena......

IP Logged

shgr
Experienced Poster

Diagnosed December 2003

raleigh, USA, usa, 469, 184, NC, North_Carolina
Re: What to take for a cold?
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 12:43pm

Lena,
I have been told by my docs, as it sounds like you have, that I am to NOT take any cold meds without asking first.  I think it is the ingredient, pseudoephedrine, that they specifically warned me about.  Here are some articles you may find helpful:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Hope these help you, sorry if you alrewady did some research...
I have taken a prescribtion expectorant given to me by my GP and taken Tylenol for discomfort.  I, also, would love to know what others are taking for colds!  Sorry to babble on...
Take care,
Stephanie

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all. Dale Carnegie

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 3:11pm

Wow Stephanie!  Smiley

Thanks for sharing the websites.  I personally didn't know that cold medicines could increase the risk of stroke if phenylpropanolamine is present.  I did know that as MM patients, we do have to be extra careful and consult with our dr's on what we can/cannot take, but some of us may not even think twice about an OTC medicine such as cold medicines!  Tongue  Plus, for me...I already take waaaay to much medications, so I really don't take any more than necessary.  Wink  

For my recent cold/sinus/asthma/respiratory issues, I have taken Advair, Albuterol, and Tussionex (for cough).  I did take Zyrtec-D, but since it may raise my bp, I was told to discontinue it.  I'm wondering if it also has phenylpropanolamine in it!  Shocked

Take care,
Shan
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2005 at 3:18pm by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

LisaH
Senior Poster

Be thankful in all circumstances

ArlingtonHts, USA, usa, 358, 120, IL, Illinois
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 6:41pm

HI all,

Yep, tis cold season again.  Ain't it grand?!?! Tongue

We talked about this a bit before:
LisaH wrote on Feb 15th, 2004 at 9:02pm:
OTC cold/sinus meds----I found the info about what to avoid in a sinus/cold medicine.  It is Pseudoephedrine which, according to the FDA, acts as a vaso-constrictor and contra-indications include hypertension (meaning it raises your blood pressure) and vascular disease.  The only OTC cold/sinus med I could find without pseudoephedrine is Coricidin but it doesn't help me at all.  Does anybody else know of any other OTC meds to try for my sinuses without the Pseudoephedrine?  Maybe something herbal?

I have a terrible cold right now and have to admit  Smiley that on occassion I gave in and took Tylenol Cold medicine because I just couldn't stand the misery anymore.  I was coughing so hard that I thought my brains were going to fall out of my head! Smiley  It helped but did make me really woozy and I definitely felt the pressure in my head from the higher blood pressure and constriction of blood vessels.   

What also helped me this time though was Vicks NyQuil LiquiCaps (no pseudoephedrine) and putting Vicks VapoRub into a pot of steaming water and breathing over that (if you do that, don't put the stuff into the water while boiling, put it in after the water is boiled) .  Or, you can use the VapoRub machine they sell at drugstores.  Tried the Coricidin
HPB
again in desperation and it still didn't do much to help me but it's worth a try.  I also drank so much water that I'm starting to grow fins! Wink   Oh, and Halls Plus cough drops are my new best friend!

It's when I have a bad cold that I most hate having MM! Undecided  Here's hoping we all stay cold/flu-free this winter! Smiley

Lisa

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

IP Logged

shgr
Experienced Poster

Diagnosed December 2003

raleigh, USA, usa, 469, 184, NC, North_Carolina
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:09pm

Lisa,
Thank you sooooo much for sharing your med expertise with us. I will use your recommendations during my next cold!  I have used a humidifier last winter that was wonderful!  I also take lots of vitamin C and wash my hands like crazy!  I was student teaching last winter, so I was extra careful about washing my hands!  Hope you feel better, Lisa!  Keep all that drinking water Wink!
Take care all,
Steph

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all. Dale Carnegie

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:50pm

Oh my..Lisa, I sure hope you feel better soon! Embarrassed  What did your doctor suggest you take/do to ride out your cold?  Was the Tylenol Cold Medicine refomulated? (Now made without Pseudoephedrine?)  If not, I clicked on one of the links Stephanie provided, and it provided a few new OTC items that are now PPA Free that you may be able to take...For example...

"Four reformulated Triaminic products, now PPA-free, are now widely available on pharmacy shelves: Triaminic Cough®, Triaminic Cold and Allergy®, Triaminic Chest Congestion® and Triaminic Cold & Cough®.

Before the reformulations, Novartis Consumer Health had discontinued some of the older labels of Triaminic, which contained PPA (Triaminic DM, Triaminic Syrup, Triaminic Expectorant, and Triaminicol)."

My mom is a BIG fan of Vicks Vapor Rub!  Remember the green bottle it came in?  I remember her sticking her finger right in it, then taking it and rubbing it right under my nose and then on my chest.  Undecided  I have to say that it did help!  Wink

By the way Lisa, just wondering...did you get the flu shot this year?

Well, thanks for a great post Lena!  Now we can all be somewhat ready to take the cold by the horns!

Take care,
Shan
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:51pm by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

riosdallas
Junior Poster

Life is an Opportunity
That we benefit from

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 5:13pm

Lisa wish you well !!!!
Thank- you !!!! I'm going to look for some of these and put it in medicine cabinet. So, I can be prepared. I've started more intake of vitamin C , making sure to take a multi vitamin, and washing hands, eating veggies, and well balanced meals, plenty of fluids. Hoping this will help prevent from catching the colds and sinus problems that have begun.    thanks again for otc meds....
   MM friend Lena

IP Logged

Greg-NJ1
Experienced Poster

Mis-diagnosed with MM
in 2005, arterial restricion

Teaneck, NJ
Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:22pm

Hi all,

I just got home from my Neurologist...and being the time of year that it is, I asked about cold medication. In his words "Avoid any cold medication that contains phenylpropanolamine and  pseudoephedrine as they can potentially lead to a stroke due to increased blood pressure"  Needless to say that I am off to my medicine cabinet to check labels and toss accordingly.

Have a good night,
Greg

I was misdiagnosed with MM in March of 2005. In January 2006, I was told it is not MM, but rather a massive restriction in the MC1 segment of my left carotid artery.

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 12:13pm

Greg,
          Thats what I heard too, I will not let Mandy take anything but Coriciden HBP for her sinuses or anything I think you REALLY, REALLY need to be careful!
                          Nancy

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 11:54pm

Nancy,

Quick question...what is HBP?  Good to know that Coriciden is safe and doesn't contain either phenylpropanolamine and  pseudoephedrine.

I know this won't pertain to you Greg, but my mom recently saw my neuro, and he strongly advised her to stop taking Premarin, (just in case anyone here also takes Premarin) which increases stroke!  We were blown away because she's been taking that for years!  I've also heard that it may even cause cancer.

Boy, to keep up with medicines and what's good for you and what isn't, is a feat in itself.  Reading labels isn't enough these days...research, research, research!

Thanks for everyone's input... Wink

Shan
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005 at 11:55pm by Shan »  

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 6:24am

HPB means high blood presure.

IP Logged

Roz
Junior Poster

Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 5:17am

Hello,

Just want to check if it's OK to take anything including the ingredient 'Phenylephrine Hydrochloride.' Am off work with a cold today. I've never been warned by my doctors about cold remedies. The only thing that I know I'm not supposed to take is a certain nasal decongestant which I had been on for quite a while until it was picked up when I had my 24hour BP monitor. I've got to get rid of this cold before I have my flu jab on Friday so thanks for any help.

Regards,

Roz

IP Logged

Emily
Senior Poster

Diagnosed Oct 2005. Direct
bypasses: Nov 05 Apr

Brisbane, Australia
Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 6:50pm

i hadn't heard anything about this, being an elite athlete i was never allowed to take pseudoephedrine anyway which is fortunate!
do we still have this problem (and risk) after surgery though?

WWW rubygrapefruit https://www.facebook.com/emily.pip  
IP Logged

Greg-NJ1
Experienced Poster

Mis-diagnosed with MM

Teaneck, NJ
Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 4:45pm

Since I now have a bad cold....its time to BUMP this one up the list.

Hope you are all feeling well,
Greg

I was misdiagnosed with MM in March of 2005. In January 2006, I was told it is not MM, but rather a massive restriction in the MC1 segment of my left carotid artery.

IP Logged

pomem
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Brisbane, Australia, QLD, Queensland
Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2005 at 3:32am

In all honesty, I don't think ANYONE, MM or not, should be taking proper flu meds for colds.  Pseudoephedrine is a powerful chemical designed to 'perk' you up and counter the drowsy effects of the traditional flu treatments.  It's a strong drug, and not one which should be used for someone with a simple cold.

When it comes down to it, we all know that no drug in the world can kick the common cold, and more often than not it's a cold rather than flu that people contract.  Don't load your body with chemicals it doesn't need... it drives me crazy to see my friends reaching for flu tablets when they are starting with a sniffle! 

Rest, healthy diet and fluids... it's about as good as it gets.  To quote a good friend of myself and Emily who is studying naturopathy...

"REST! Drink lots of lemon, ginger and honey tea and eat lots of warming foods and spices* that encourage sweating.  Up the vitamin c.  Rest will be the best thing though!"

* Not this for you though Emily.. anything that could disrupt your digestive system is a no-no until after your surgery Smiley

Sorry to go all hippie on everyone!

IP Logged

riosdallas
Junior Poster

Life is an Opportunity
That we benefit from

Reply #15 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 10:31am

Hi Greg,
   I hope you feel better soon. After I posted this about 2 or 3 days later I had the cold of all colds, coughing strongly, sneezing constantly, started to get body aches, and weakness, tired feeling. I then tried to rest, drank a cup of hot water aith fresh 1/2 clove of garlic in it. The old chicken noodle soup, lots of water. It did last 10 days. Know i continue my prevention for the next one, Vitamin C, well balanced eating, plenty of water.
Oh yeah......The Halls were my best friend!!!!! Ha!!!! HA!!!!!!!!     your mm friend Lena
  GOOD Luck... Get healthy!!!!

IP Logged

Janko
Experienced Poster

Take baby steps...one
step in front of the
other!!

Kekaha, USA, usa, 326, 333, HI, Hawaii
Reply #16 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 1:04pm

For me, the best thing for a cold is still Chicken Soup, lots of vitamin C, lots of fluids and rest.  I make chicken soup with a lot of ginger root in it.  It really keeps you "warm" inside.  I also make a warm ginger root and honey tea that seems to help.  If I'm too lazy to get up and make soup I send someone out to a local Filipino diner to pick up my favorite chicken soup (chicken and bittermelon leaf)....it's sooo ono (delicious), it's making my mouth water just thinking of it.  That's just my Smiley or at least what works for me.  If possible I do not like to take medicines.  I just take Tylenol for discomfort.

Everything is not just black and white.  Open your eyes, see what the world has to offer....

IP Logged

Greg-NJ1
Experienced Poster

Mis-diagnosed with MM

Teaneck, NJ
Reply #17 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 4:33pm

Well I'm finally starting to feel better...four days, three boxes of tissues, countless numbers of Halls Fruit Breezers and one day with a 100.4 fevor......but it is finally breaking. My temp is back to normal, no more need for tissues, just an occassion coughing out break.

I must say that this is the first time that I have gone the distance with a cold and NOT taken any medications. Boy did it suck. I'm just glad that I am starting to feel myself again.

Greg

P.S. Sorry about the venting

IP Logged

Emily
Senior Poster

Diagnosed Oct 2005. Direct
bypasses: Nov 05 Apr

Brisbane, Australia
Reply #18 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 5:39pm

I HAVE ONE!!! noooo.... and surgery on thursday.. started off sniffling and sneezing and itchy eyes and thought it was hay fever.. took some antihistamine (with permission from doc) and that took some of it away but now i'm all worn out, puffing (like i've run up a hill) and coughing all chesty Sad boohoo

WWW rubygrapefruit https://www.facebook.com/emily.pip  
IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #19 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 6:07am

Bump

IP Logged

Janko
Experienced Poster

Take baby steps...one
step in front of the
other!!

Kekaha, USA, usa, 326, 333, HI, Hawaii
Reply #20 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 12:40pm

Hey Shan,

I got the bump.

Thank you,
Jan Smiley

Everything is not just black and white.  Open your eyes, see what the world has to offer....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge