Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DJ and the Shin family at Stanford (Read 26026 times)
Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Re: DJ and the Shin family at Stanford
Reply #25 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 9:01pm

Smiley Alexis,

Welcome to the Moyamoya family.

So glad to hear from you and to hear Claire is doing so well.  Smiley  It must be a tremendous relief for you and your family to see claire in such great shape and spirits after such a journey.

My brother Kevin (Cubbie) had surgery at Stanford by Dr. Steinberg in May and he was in bad shape before he got to Stanford. He is doing so well and we too are very greatful for and to Dr. Steinberg, Teresa and the entire Stanford team. They have that moyamoya thing down to a science. Everything falls into place just like clockwork.

I'm so glad you had DJ and Jill with you. Jill was with me when Kevin had his surgeries and it was great especially since I was 3,000 miles from home and didn't know a soul at Stanford until Jill showed up and then I met Michelle and Shane and Trina and her family and Mark and his family and now the entire moyamoya family.  This is a great group of folks and you will find a lot of support and comfort coming to the site.  Not to mention the moyamoya education.

I look forward to post surgery pictures of Claire and updates on her progress.

Best to you and Claire and Stanley. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

Lorel   

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

cass/kate
Experienced Poster

Daughter Kate has moyamoya.

Dallas, USA, usa, 270, 251, TX, Texas
Reply #26 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 9:12pm

Hi DJ and Shin family, esp Claire -

Just got home and ran to check the messages.  YEAH !!! Great news from you both.  Glad the angio went well, DJ.  Good Birthday present, huh?

And am so glad Claire is doing so well.  I called Kate in Oklahoma and told her about it.  She sends her love, also. 

Will still be thinking about you all and praying for complete wellness soon.

Hugs,  Smiley

Cass

IP Logged

Rosengarts
New Poster

Statesboro, USA, GA, Georgia
Reply #27 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 10:05pm

Claire, Alexis, Stanley and Elliot,

Russell and I are thrilled to hear good things about Claire's surgery! This website is a wonderful way to communicate since you guys are so far away. It seems as though you are in a wonderful place and the outpouring of support is unbelievable!

Please know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers daily. If there is anything we can do, please don't hesitate to call.

We wish all of you tons of love and positive thoughts from Statesboro and can't wait to see you when you get home!

Love, Angie, Russell and Jordan

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Reply #28 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:09am

Alexis and family...

Again, a warm welcome to you and your family to the mm.com family!  Smiley Although we weren't able to physically be there with you and Claire throughout her procedure, it sure felt like we were there...due to DJ and Jill's posts!  Much thanks to them for keeping us updated and informed on Claire's progress.  ;Grin

I am about 5 months post op now and had a similar surgery to Claire (double direct STA-MCA and an indirect) on my right side by Dr. Fukushima in North Carolina.  I am from Hawaii and like yourself had to travel many miles to receive the necessary care I stood in need of.  I am just so grateful that Claire was able to be seek the medical attention she needed as well, in a timely manner.  Cheesy  I knew she too was in the hands of a true mm expert, surrounded by a wonderful family such as yours, and absolutely truly supportive and caring people such as DJ and Jill...so I had no doubt in my mind that she wouldn't do fine.  Your family's other friends such as the Kim Family also sound like a wonderful and caring family.

I can never find the right/enough words to express my personal gratitude for DJ and this site!  I truly believe in my  Smiley that this site has literally saved the lives of many... The support here is also awesome!  If you ever have any questions or concerns about something (and I mean anything), please feel free to post it, and I'm almost certain that someone will have experienced the same thing and will answer your post.

Please tell Claire that we're sending her much
ALOHA
from Hawaii...and are so proud of her! I've said this a million times before...children with this disease are such an inspiration to me!  Just amazing!

If there is anything I can do for you or your family, please do not hesitate to let me know...

Take care,
Shan

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:16am by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #29 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 8:59am

Claire and Family -

I'm so glad to hear about your very successful surgery!  I had my surgeries with Dr. Scott in Boston - wow! almost 2 years ago (time does fly!).  But I don't hear anything but how wonderful Dr. Steinberg is!  I'm glad you are feeling well and I pray for a speedy recovery!  Big smiles ;Grin and hugs Smiley coming your way from Philadelphia!

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Reply #30 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 2:24am

Hi everyone!

Just so you don't think Claire and the rest of her family fell off the face of the earth, I thought I'd give a brief update on them.

Claire had a couple of tough headache days.  When Tara and I saw her on Friday, she was struggling with one, and the hospital was trying to determine which medication and dose would work best to improve her headaches.  She was headache-free today (Sunday), so was discharged late morning - great news!  She was able to shower, wash her hair, and felt up to having dinner out with us tonight.  We had a great dinner at a local Chinese restaurant (too bad DJ, you would have been out of luck!).

I've said it before, but it bears repeating.  Looking at Claire (especially after a shampoo) you would absolutely not know she'd had surgery!  The only indication of anything was that by around 8:00 pm she was definitely tired out.  We said our goodbyes around 8:30 pm and headed home. 

They'll have a couple of days to relax and enjoy (trick-or-treating tomorrow!) before heading back in to see Dr. S on Wednesday.  If all goes well (as we anticipate) they plan to fly home on Thursday.  With any luck, we'll be able to make introductions between them and Shane, but will play that by ear until mid-week.

We've so enjoyed meeting Stanley, Alexis, Claire and Elliott!  They are a lovely family, and we are thrilled that surgery has been so successful.  We look forward to hearing updates from them as Claire continues her recovery and starts resuming her normal activities.

That's all for now . . . hope everyone has a great week!

Big hugs,
Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #31 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 5:29am

Jill,

Thank you sooo much for keeping us updated with Claire!  She sounds like an amazing girl who is doing absolutely fabulous post-operatively.  ;Grin  We continue to keep her in our prayers and pray for her and her family to have safe travels home to GA.  It would be awesome if Shane and the Shin's could also meet face-to-face.  Cheesy  I hope to one day meet all of you too at one of the reunions.

Thanks again, Jill.  You're awesome! Smiley

Take care,
Shan

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #32 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 9:40am

Thanks for keeping us updated, Jill!  Claire sounds like an amazing young lady - hope to be able to meet her in August!  She and her family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers as she continues through her recovery.

Sending thoughts and prayers to Shane as well as he prepares for his surgery tomorrow.  Good luck, Shane!

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

ClaireMom
New Poster

My daughter Claire had
surgeries in 2005 & 2006.

Savannah, GA
Reply #33 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:37pm

Claire had a ball yesterday trick-or-treating.  Lucille Packard Hospital (at Stanford) had TT at 2 pm for all in and outpatients.  Both Claire and Elliott had wonderful time.  Tomorrow we have a follow-up with Dr. S, and we are flying out on Thursday.  Her surgery site is very clean, and she does not have headache any more.  She does get tired easily and feels dizzy from time to time.  As Jill mentioned, nobody can tell that she had major surgery last week.  That's how amazing Stanford team is.  Thanks to Moyamoya.com, my families from Korea, and my friends in GA, such as Rosengarts, and Hollie, and all over the states like Won, were able to check on Claire's progress.  Thanks DJ.  Thanks Jill for updating on Claire's progress.  You have been wonderful mother figure here, and we enjoyed meeting with your husband.  Thanks Shan and other MMers who expressed personal interest in my daughter's progress.  My whole outlook on family life and educating my children has changed tremendously going through this process.   Now I am looking forward to getting home finally.  Claire says she cannot wait to go back.

Alexis

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #34 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 11:35pm

Alexis,

You are very welcome! Cheesy I am just so thankful that Claire was able to receive the necessary care she needed in a timely manner.  I am also thankful that you allowed us to be a part of Claire's and your family's experience.  It's not easy as it is...and to share it with others you've basically just met online isn't always easy.

I'm also so very grateful for Dr. Steinberg and his staff for providing such excellent patient care I keep hearing about.  As you know, I am not one of his patients, but it's so comforting to know of what he is doing for wonderful people such as Claire...saving lives!  Cheesy  

I also extend a special thanks to DJ and Jill for providing us with pictures and updates on Claire and her progress.  Jill, I'm thinking...you should be on the Stanford payroll...maybe like a patient care coordinator or family care coordinator.  Wink  You'd be great!

Anyway, I will continue to keep Claire in our thoughts and prayers for a full and successful recovery.  Please do not hesitate to contact me if there's anything I can do for you or your family.  Also, don't forget to let me know when you'll be in Hawaii again...

Have a safe trip home... Smiley

"There's no place like home."
  - Dorothy

Aloha,
Shan
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2005 at 11:37pm by Shan »  

IP Logged

hummer
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

saucier, USA, usa, 362, 236, MS, Mississippi
Reply #35 - Apr 29th, 2006 at 4:11pm

I hope all is well!my prayers go out to you .KEEP THE FAITH IT WILL GUIDE YOU . FROM HUMMER Smiley Wink

LIFE IS NEVER GREENER ON THE OTHERSIDE WE JUST HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO WATER OUR OWN GRASS

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge