Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
difference betwen EDAS and BYPASS (Read 26769 times)
ms.rivera
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: difference betwen EDAS and BYPASS
Reply #25 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 3:25pm

Sorry to hear that.  I was diagnosed October 2011.  I suffered a small stroke and was hospitalized for a week.  I was also told I had experienced TIA's in the past.

That's a really good question.  Does anyone know the answer? 

IP Logged

CKowatch
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

alabama
Reply #26 - May 2nd, 2012 at 11:09pm

Hello MoyaMom:

I wanted to say that I dealt with neuro;s in bham at UAB and they were good but am now seeing neuros at Mayo clinic in jaksonille, fl.... in 07 i was seen by a neuro in bha who said i had neurovasculitis and gave me lots of meds... they helped but only for a bit. last year everything came back with a vengance and my neuro here in dothan suspected moyamoya and sent me to Mayo.... that goodness he did b/c now i am being seen by a group there who sepcialize in MMD and are hopefully going to get this taken care of as best as they can.. i would suggest a 2nd and 3rd opinion for your son dear......

MoyaMom wrote on Nov 18th, 2005 at 5:27pm:
Jill, Michelle and Kevin,
My son is 28 and had a stroke on July 23rd of this year.  He did not have any lasting symptoms.  That started a barrage of tests which led to a neuro in Ft. Walton, FL.   The surgeon, suspected MM, because he was stationed in Japan and saw it alot, but is not qualified, by his own admittance, to treat it.  He sent us to UA Birmingham Medical Center where he saw a Neurosurgeon who did an angiogram and diagnosed MM.  My son just went back this week for a special MRI that measures blood flow.  His bloodflow is normal, and the veins his body has made to make up for the 100% blocked ones are very strong in the NS's opinion.  So he is saying wait until symptoms get worse, even though he has never done an MM surgery.  Needless to say we are seeking 2nd and 3rd opinions and fast!!  We have DVD's of angiogram, CTA, and recent MRI.  I read that Dr. Steinberg in LA will look at them at no charge and give a determination.  Dr. Lewis at UFL Gainesville, FL will look at written reports of the tests at no charge.  That is where we are at this point.  Any tips, info or suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Sorry, Jill for the repeat, I sent this to you privately.
Marguerite

Christy
Christy Kowatch  
IP Logged

equusy1
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #27 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 11:57am

I am 59 yrs old and have just been diagnosed.  There are so many questions, and I do not have any answers.  But, if I were you I would research more doctors that are familiar with MoyaMoya.  This website is great for that.  I found one and will be seeing him later this month.  I just cannot accept the wait and see attitude.  I had a TIA and don't want to have more...or worse.  Hope this helps.

IP Logged

OneStoneTwoBirds
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #28 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 9:33am

I asked my husband's neurosurgeon about this since I'd heard that the STA-MCA was the "better" procedure and he was doing EDAS.  (My husband is 58 and recently diagnosed and has had surgery on one side with the other side to come).  What he said is that for adults he does the EDAS procedure unless he is dealing with an aneurysm or AVF, in which case he does STA-MCA.  He feels the slower development of blood vessels works better for adults, particularly for someone like my husband who was relatively asymptomatic.

IP Logged

Dori Aparicio
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #29 - May 2nd, 2021 at 10:10am

I had both direct and indirect for hemorrhagic stroke and was diagnosed with MM as a result of the stroke in January. Had surgery in March 8. Almost 4 months after the stroke still drained and little visionary issues, as well as episodes of feels like flakiness. I’m also starting to see swelling again on the left side for some reason. Anyone know why that would be? I return to work tomorrow and I’m not happy about it. I have no choice.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge