Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hi, we are new here... (Read 14387 times)
TinyMama
New Poster

Proud Patient of Dr. Steinberg

USA, CA, California
Re: Hi, we are new here...
Reply #25 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 5:53pm

I recently had surgery at Stanford with Dr. Steinberg and I have a 5 yo daughter.  We brought her and she stayed at a nearby hotel with my Mom and Sister.    My husband had serious out-of-town surgery when my daughter was 7 months old and she stayed behind.

So, speaking as a patient and as a caregiver, I would definitely recommend leaving your son at home unless you have someone that can fly out and stay with him.   Yes, you will miss your son, but he is probably too young to have a hard time without you -- it'll be harder on mom and dad not seeing him than him not seeing you (kids have no concept of time).   You will need to be there for your wife and tending to a little one without any help is A LOT, you will be exhausted (just from the plane rides).  Just my opinion.

I live within two hours from Stanford so my experience as far as a typical day might differ from your 3 week experience.  You will have pre-op testing for a donor artery which includes a cerebral angiogram, Xenon test (or Spec test), and MRI.  Depending on the scheduling, you should be able to do this over 1 or 2 days (I did this over 2 days).  I had an appointment with the Clinic the day before surgery.  Also, the day before surgery I had doppler testing, registered for surgery, and met with an anesthesiologist. I went to clinic one week after my surgery to check in and have my staples removed.  I return again to the Clinic next week (over a month after my surgery).

It sounds like you have a place to stay which is fortunate.  Just in case, Best Western on El Camino (it's on the patient hotel recommendation list from Stanford) is relatively reasonable and extremely convenient, close to Stanford (it's at Sand Hill Road and El Camino; Stanford is on El Camino) and Safeway. We stayed there for my pre-op testing.

Good luck to you and your wife.

IP Logged

cass/kate
Experienced Poster

Daughter Kate has moyamoya.

Dallas, USA, usa, 270, 251, TX, Texas
Reply #26 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 6:40pm

Dear Brandon and Alma -

I am so glad to hear that you are going to Stanford and that Dr. S will do your surgery, Alma.  He is wonderful!

Montana to California is a long drive.  You might check with Teresa and see what she thinks.  When Kate, our daughter, had bilateral surgery in Sept. '05, her left side was so bad that Dr. S felt she would not do well on a long car ride (Dallas, TX to Calif.)  We flew, but did not know about the special airline programs that Lore mentioned.

We ended up being out there for four weeks instead of three, as Kate had swelling that had to go down before she could have her staples removed.  We were at the hospital a lot !!  So it might be very helpful if you could leave your son with family.

Also, the social worker told us about apartments that Stanford has for very little $$.  We couldn't use one because you can only have 1-2 people max stay there and when Kate was between tests, we had three.  So we stayed at the Skyranch Inn; they have a good rate if you are at Stanford. 

We also flew into San Jose and rented a car.  It was cheaper than San Francisco and much closer.

I am praying that all goes well for you, and that your Blue Cross/ Blue Shield will help out as much as ours did.  Again, you are on my heart and we will be thinking about you while you are in Calif.  Bless you all.

Hugs and prayers,

Cass, Kate and Jon in Dallas

IP Logged

tiomasai
Experienced Poster

Arriba Arriba!

Queens, NY,
Reply #27 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 10:55pm

Brandon & Alma:

I too am glad that Alma will be getting treated at Stanford - you are definitely in good hands.

I had surgery with Dr. Steinberg in May 2005 - on the 3rd and the 11th (left, then right side, direct bypass).  I am from New York, and I flew.  Mercy Airlift will fly both of you for free with confirmation from your doctor that you are going for a medical need (see the transporation section as Lore indicated - patient and companion only).  I used this, and it was great.  We had to change our dates, and they are very amenable to this.  The flights are donated by airlines so there are minimal costs to the organization.  They just coordinate for you. 

I too would recommend that you leave your son with someone.  I am sure it would be hard for you, but it will be very difficult with all the tests, etc.  Pre-surgery you will be very busy, and post-surgery you will need the rest. 

We too rented a car and stayed in a hotel (stayed at Marriott Residence Inn - very nice, with kitchen, and free breakfast).  There are options that the social worker can provide as Cass mentioned above, but that is for 2 ppl max and I had an 'army', as Jill likes to say.  Smiley  We too flew into San Jose and the rates for car rental were pretty good for 3 weeks. 

I hope this helps.  My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.  I'm sure Alma will pull through it all with flying colors!

Regards,
Trina

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Reply #28 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 1:34am

Hi Brandon,

You've received great advice from several people.  I, too, will voice my opinion regarding bringing your son, as well as shed some more light about what you can expect as far as Alma's hospital stay.

First, MM surgeries are usually done on a Tuesday or a Wednesday.  Typically patients remain in the hospital until Saturday or Sunday, depending on surgery day and individual recovery.  Assuming that Alma will likely have her surgeries on consecutive Tuesdays or Wednesdays, it means that she'll be out of the hospital just 2 or 3 nights in between.  While she's in the hospital, I would guess that you'd like to be there with her during most of the days.  I know that when Tara was in the hospital, we stayed until about 10:00 pm each night following her first surgery.  We actually slept in her room after her second surgery, as she had some speech difficulties, and it was a bit frightening for a short time.  My point is that having a baby you are responsible for providing care to may be really difficult.  Stephanie made a good point - leaving him with relatives in Montana would probably be the hardest for you and Alma.  He won't understand the amount of time that has passed while you are gone.  Also, like she said, it's a different story if you have someone who comes to California with you to care for him.

The flying/driving issue is one you should discuss with Teresa.  Each patient's medical situation is different - one may be better able to handle a long road trip than another.  Again, I would ask the advice of Dr. Steinberg/Teresa on that one!

Have you been in touch with Social Services at Stanford?  Michael Thomas is usually assigned to MM patients, and he may be able to steer you in the right direction with flights.  He can also provide information about the Stanford apartments, but I know you're planning to stay with a friend.  Let me know if you need contact information for Michael.

Brandon, I'm sure all of this feels pretty overwhelming.  There are many logistical things to figure out, but if you try to address one thing at a time, hopefully it doesn't feel like too much of a burden.  Please let me know if I can help you out with any of it, o.k.?  You, Alma and your little guy will remain in my prayers. 

Warmly,
Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

CagayanDeOro
New Poster

Cagayan De Oro City, Mindanao,
Philippines

Missoula, USA, MT, Montana
Reply #29 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 9:53am

Thanks everyone.  It has been decided that our little guy will stay at home with friends and relatives. 

Alma's surgery dates are for Jan. 31, and Feb. 7.  It may now be up in the air as far as where we will stay, as we were originally going to stay with a friend, but that option may not work out after all. 

Teresa says that she would recommend flying since Alma probably won't feel much like a 2 day car ride after she has had surgery.  As for the flying, part, I have a response from AngelFlight, but I'm wondering if taking a non-pressurized plane is such a good idea in this case. (I'm asking Teresa about that one too.)

Thanks again for all your responses.

-Brandon

Salamat Po!

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

with MM

Reply #30 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 6:01pm

Hi everyone,

To anyone who has been following this thread, it is February 9th, and Alma is 2 days post-surgery.  She had her first surgery last week, the second this week.  She has had a fairly typical course, although she is experiencing a pretty significant amount of nausea.  She actually looks great, the incisions look healthy, and her spirits are good.  Dr. Steinberg gave very positive post-surgery reports, so that's awesome news for them! 

As Brandon posted, they decided to leave 10-month old Randy at home with family friends.  Alma gets teary when she speaks of Randy, as she misses her baby a whole bunch.  Pictures of him went into surgery with her, and she now has them taped to the rails of her hospital bed.  Please keep the prayers and good thoughts coming for these very, very nice people from Missoula, Montana.  I know Brandon and Alma both appreciate them, and I'm sure they'll be making a post when they can!

Hugs to my MM family,
Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

with MM

Reply #31 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 10:17pm

Another update on Alma.  Even though she looked great yesterday, she looked even better today!  While I was sitting with her and Brandon at the hospital, Michelle and Cass individually called my cell phone to extend greetings and well wishes to them.  Thanks guys, I can't tell you what a day-brightener that was for them!!!!!  Alma is a tiny person (like 85 pounds), but her smile is huge.  She got giggling at a funny story Brandon had from a bus ride he took today, and it was great to see her in such good spirits. 

It looks like discharge day will be tomorrow.  They'll be here for a few more days, and will probably fly home next Friday.  I'll be hanging out with them off and on, so will be happy to pass along any messages to them.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Smiley Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 7:55am

Thank you Jill for the update. I’m so happy to hear Alma’s doing better—our prayers were answered. What better hands could she be in!?!

Please send them my best and tell Brandon he deserves a big “atta boy” as well.  His part through all this isn’t an easy one either. God love ‘em both! Tell Alma we’re proud of her and to keep smiling!

My continued prayers are with them always.

Mar

IP Logged

Seachelles
Old-Time Poster

God never gives us more
than we can handle.

Fredericksburg, USA, usa, 474, 157, VA, Virginia
Reply #33 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 9:22am

Was really glad to hear about how well things went with Alma on her second surgery.  I know it's got to be tough for Alma being away from her child.  Just tell her to keep her chin up and that I think she and Brandon are absolute troopers. 

Please let them know that I continue to think about them and keeping them in my prayers. 

Smiley
Michelle

Michelle
Chelles4U Chelles4U  
IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #34 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 9:43pm

Tell Alma I'm glad to here the news thats so wonderful. The worst is over and no were to go but foward our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
                                     Nancy

IP Logged

CagayanDeOro
New Poster

Philippines

Reply #35 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 3:00pm

Hi all,
Just thought I'd write a little note to let you all know that Alma is home and doing great as far as the surgery went, but is still a little under the weather with the flu bug, as am I. 

I can't thank Jill and her family enough for all that they have done for Alma and I.  She made our stay in Stanford, a lot more bearable, and provided a lot of good information to us so that there were hardly any surprises.  We are so fortunate to have found such wonderful friends. 

Alma and I also thank Dr. Steinberg and his crew (naturally) for their wonderful work and the new lease on life we have together. 

Our little guy was happy to see us, and actually remembered us after a month of absence from his life.  It did our hearts so good to finally see him when we got home.  Unfortunately, now, he also has the same flu bug that we have, so now we are all miserable (but happy) together! 

I'm happy to have found this message board as it made our quest for answers and solutions much easier.  I thank everyone here for their information and support.  Thanks to DJ for making this board available.

I'm sure that there is still much for us to learn and iron out  as we go along and she continues to heal, but we'll take it as it comes.  We'll keep you all posted as we go.  Hopefully, we can return the favor and offer our experience and support as we lelarn more. 

Thanks again!

Regards,
Brandon & Alma

Salamat Po!

IP Logged

Janko
Experienced Poster

Take baby steps...one
step in front of the
other!!

Kekaha, USA, usa, 326, 333, HI, Hawaii
Reply #36 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 3:50pm

Hi Brandon & Alma,

I'm so happy to hear that Alma's surgery went well.  I'll be at Stanford in April for my surgeries.  I'm looking forward to it.  I can feel for you.  I recenty caught the "bug" and trying to shake it off before surgery.  It's pretty difficult because I bring it home, give it to my boyfriend, and he gives it back to me.  Smiley It's just a vicious cycle, I'm afraid  to take any kinds of meds in case it causes another bleed.  I live with a constant headache.  Hopefully the surgeries will help alleviate them.

Will keep in touch....

Jan

Everything is not just black and white.  Open your eyes, see what the world has to offer....

IP Logged

CagayanDeOro
New Poster

Philippines

Reply #37 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 11:02am

Hi Jan, & thanks. 

Yeah, the meds thing is a tough one.  I think they told Alma that she could only take Tylenol.  It didn't usually work too well for her, but some comfort was better than none. 

This flu has been the worst I've been sick in quite a while.  It's even worse when the whole family has it, and no one can hardly move. 

I pray that your operation is as successful as Alma's seems to be.  Already, (even though she has had the flu) her appetite is back, her short term memory seems to be improving.  The only headaches she has are the ones you would expect with just having had surgery on your head, and those seem to be diminishing with time.  In fact, mostly for her, it's not a headache that bothers her, as it is where she was cut open and then stitched that seems to give a creepy-crawly sensation to her.  There seems to be a renewed light in her eyes that I just can't explain, that seems to have been absent for a long time.  Even though she's only 5'3" & 85lbs. she loves to eat again, and that does my heart good! 

The surgery and recovery are not easy, but it's been so worth it.

Just hang in there, stay positive, and focus on the future.  Your attitude going in, I think dictates a LOT in how well and quickly your recovery is.  Do something or focus on something that sets your mind at ease before you go into surgery.  One thing I did with Alma the night before her second surgery, was something I wish I had done before her first surgery, because it completely changed her attitude and outlook both going in and comming out of surgery.  That one thing we did, was I helped her pray, I just held her hand and I said a little prayer.  I'm not normally an outwardly religious person, but my wife is quite deeply religious/spiritual.  It was just this one thing that I did for her, and it seemed to change everything.  It set her mind so at ease about the second surgery that I think she seemed more happy and alert after her second surgery than the first.  Do what works for you, and have your boyfriend help you if need be.  I think it's really important.

Take care,

Brandon

Salamat Po!

IP Logged

lsuvia
Junior Poster

Diagnosed w/MM on 8/2005

Oceanside, USA, usa, 62, 227, CA, California
Reply #38 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 7:14pm

Hi Brandon,
I am so thankful that Alma's surgeries went well.   WinkFollowing your thread has been such an encouragement to me. My surgery is sked for March 8th.  We are looking forward to the surgery and meeting Jill, as well as Dr. S and his staff.   I for one can't wait to get rid of these headaches, I'm also looking forward to getting on with life!  Cheesy

I pray that the flu will pass quickly from your household.  Please keep us posted on Alma's recovery.  God bless your precious family.
Lee

IP Logged

wcherry
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Toledo, USA, OH, Ohio
Reply #39 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 11:00pm

Hi,
  My name is Wendy and I have a 5 year old daughter that was diagnosed at 2 years of age with a morning glory in her right eye.  Recently she has developed substantial hearing loss in her right ear.  I was trying to find something on the internet to help ease my mind that maybe this might just be coinsidental when i stumbled into this site.  We are working with the doctors to figure out what might be the cause but most do not seem very familiar with her condition.  I just wanted to say thank you for starting this site because it has opened my eyes to possibilities of things to look out for.

IP Logged

cass/kate
Experienced Poster

Daughter Kate has moyamoya.

Dallas, USA, usa, 270, 251, TX, Texas
Reply #40 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 11:28pm

Hi Brandon and Alma -

I've been quite busy with my dad (nursing home) lately and just now read your last post (although I do talk to Jill regularly, so I know you are doing well, Alma.)  

Kate got a bad cold and bronchitus after her surgery and was limited in what she could take.  She has now discovered Coricidin that does not affect blood pressure and says it works well with colds. Maybe with flu also? Along with Tylonol for the aches?  Anyway, I know she is careful about taking a lot of anything.  The first month or so after we were home, it seems like we were e-mailing Theresa everyother day to check on meds or something !!  She never did mind, though - Such an angel.

I am glad you are home with Randy, and rest assured that you will progressively feel better.  Just do not try to do too many things at once - take it slowly.  Kate's surgery was middle of Sept; she started back to school in Jan (junior in college) and is doing well, but still fatigues some.  Takes a while to build up stamina from two major brain surgeries. Duh!!  

We will be going to Stanford in March for 6month check!
Time really flies.  Wishing y'all the very best!

Love and hugs,

Cass in Texas
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2006 at 11:30pm by cass/kate »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge