Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dr. Robert Mericle (Vanderbilt) Nashville, TN (Read 12500 times)
Amanda
New Poster

!

Bowling Green, USA, usa, 391, 179, KY, Kentucky
Dr. Robert Mericle (Vanderbilt) Nashville, TN
Nov 3rd, 2006 at 7:22pm

Great Doctor!!! Knows alot about MoyaMoya and he will set and talk to you about the surgery and go over everything.  tel # 615-322-7417
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2007 at 9:46pm by DJ »  

IP Logged

Heathers mom Kimberly
New Poster

Moyamoya Look It Up

Cookeville, USA, TN, Tennessee
Re: Dr. Robert Mericle (Vanderbilt) Nashville, TN
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2007 at 10:56pm

Dr. Robert Mericle is known as "the miracle" by his patients at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Not only is this kind, gentle and gifted neurosurgeon an expert on Moyamoya disease, he has spent the last four years researching and developing a patch that may help increase blood flow for Moya moya patients...we will hopefully learn more within the next year.

This is a neurosurgeon who is committed to helping Moyamoya patients. He is highly respected by his peers, his staff and surgical team "the A team."

Dr. Mericle performed Heather's first EDAS (left side) January 10, 2007...she is scheduled for her second EDAS (right side) June 11, 2007.

We are blessed to have him in Middle Tennessee!

Kimberly

"Moyamoya look it up"&&Kimberly - Heather's Mom&&Diagnosed May 2006&&Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Heather's+mom Heather's+mom  
IP Logged

Heathers mom Kimberly
New Poster

Moyamoya Look It Up

Cookeville, USA, TN, Tennessee
Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2007 at 9:34am

Dr. Mericle performed Heather's second EDAS surgery July 11th, 2007.

I can't say enough about this gifted man! Not only is he a skilled surgeon, he is also very sensitive to the fact that the appearance of the incision site has a physcological  affect in the healing process, especially for women. Dr. Mericle is adamant about not shaving the head unless absolutely necessary...in which case only a thin line of hair is removed that can easily be covered with overlaying hair. Heather had one site shaved, the other site was not. Both incision sites have healed beautifully, you wouldn't know she had surgery.

For the first time in her life Heather is headache free, she has not had one "mini-stroke," she now has a warm, rosy color in her face and she is smiling more these days. Dr. Mericle gave our daughter a new life.

Kim Frick-Welker
Cookeville, TN
kfwelker@charter.net

"Moyamoya look it up"&&Kimberly - Heather's Mom&&Diagnosed May 2006&&Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Heather's+mom Heather's+mom  
IP Logged

corynski
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

lancing, tn
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 11:47am

Greetings Kimberly

Your postings are very encouraging to me as I'm just beginning this journey.  My son Willy, 40 yrs old, was diagnosed by Dr. Mericle yesterday with two clogged carotid arteries and has a surgery scheduled for next week.  We don't know why the moyamoya condition was not discovered until he had a stroke on his right side a few weeks back.  Prior to that, all our recent attention was given to skipped heartbeats he experienced in the middle of the night and his BP shooting up. 
I'll just say hello now, as I want to get back to reading more posts.  Dr. Mericle will do 2 operations, and I'm sorry I don't know which at this moment, one next week and another later in the fall.  I'm very hopeful we've caught it in time and that he can begin recovery right away.

charley, 75, lancing, tn.

IP Logged

corynski
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

lancing, tn
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 9:54am

Greetings All

The surgery went well with Dr. Robert Mericle of HW Neurological Institute, Nashville, Tn., and his excellent team at Baptist Hospital,  and Willy was released following surgery, after two days observation. He is continuing his recovery here in east Tenn until his follow-up appointment the 18th of July, 2013.  The most significant thing so far has been the cessation of the frequent headaches he was experiencing prior to the surgery, but he says that the numbness and tingling in his right thigh has continued.  His jaw opens only partially now, and chewing is difficult, but that will pass soon I think.  He has a scar about 4 inches long, from the lower right ear straight up and across his head.  It reminded me of the joke about being caught in a hatchet fight, and he was the only one without a hatchet.  The swelling has gone down quite a bit also in these last few days, and he continues to sleep 12/14 hours a day.  I should also say again that Willy is 40 years old, diagnosed with Moyamoya disease only a month ago.  (I will be happy to answer any questions I can, though I am not a medical doctor or health professional.)

I'll post again when I see some changes, or after his followup appt on July 18th.  Thanks to all those working to keep this site going strong as it provides support and hope to so many of us.

charles coryn, (Willy's father), lancing, tn. (northwest of Oak Ridge) 

IP Logged

dlw1967
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

ilex, Missouri  United States
Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 11:49pm

That's good to hear. I was diagnosed on June 13th of this year(2013). I am 46 years old and my doc has said nothing about surgery yet. Do I have to have a stroke before that is considered?

IP Logged

corynski
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

lancing, tn
Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 2:19pm

Hello DLW

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you any sooner, I'm constantly on the move since the moyamoya descended upon us.

I don't think the stroke is required, just the moyamoya.  The stroke, which affected his right side, stressed the urgency of his condition.  Call Becky, Dr. Mericle's secretary, at 615 320 0007, his office number at HW Neurological Institute, LLC., which is located in the Baptist Hospital in Nashville. 

We were all very impressed with Dr. Mericle, as he and his staff were very, very helpful in keeping our spirits up and helping us to understand what Willy was experiencing.  Willy was a rubella "blue baby" and had had 'patent ductus' heart surgery before age 1, but we had never anticipated either the prior stroke, 4 months earlier, or the appearance of moyamoya disease, even though about 6 months ago a doctor discovered the first of the missing arteries.

Again I'm terribly sorry I'm late with this note, and good luck to you.  Don't hesitate if you have questions I can help you with.

charles coryn, lancing, tn.

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2013 at 2:33pm by corynski »  

IP Logged

corynski
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

lancing, tn
Re: Dr. Robert Mericle (Baptist Hosp) Nashville, TN
Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 8:33am

Greetings

Willy's second surgery went well, in fact, everything went better the second trip to Nashville to Dr. Mericle.  I could tell as soon as we got home that he was feeling better.  He mentioned that the headaches in the front of his head had stopped, as had the sharp pain in his right thigh, which was actually not from the moyamoya, but from the stroke.

I'll get some more news from Willy soon, to see how he's doing after a month.  I know he's back to working on cars, with a little help from his friends.

charley (father)
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2014 at 8:36am by corynski »  

IP Logged

corynski
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

lancing, tn
William Coryn update....
Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 12:41pm

Greetings,

It's been a year now since Willy had his second operation, and we'll be going to see Dr. Mericle in Nashville in a few weeks to assess his progress.  A concern now are some symptoms that have caused him to stop working, including constant headaches and high blood pressure, overwhelming irritable light and colors in his eyes, waking in the middle of the night with a heart skip, and these seem to be getting worse.

Has this been anyone else's experience?  Willy has tried an endless stream of medicines, but none work well.  Some might bring down the BP but not affect the headache.  It's maddening........

So I wanted to post again to ask for some input regarding these problems.  I think the headaches are not as severe as originally but still overpowering, and requiring a dark room to reduce the pain.

I'll be back after the meeting with Dr. Mericle to bring you up to date.   And please contact me if you have any ideas that could help.

Peace........

charley (Willy's father)

IP Logged

corynski
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

lancing, tn
Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 9:56am

Greetings to All: (from William Coryn's father)...... Unfortunately I have bad news regarding my son William, and I want to post it here and elsewhere to draw attention to his current situation.  William was 42 when he was diagnosed with MoyaMoya and two successful surgeries were performed by Dr. Robert Mericle in Nashville, Tn.  Since then it has been a rocky road, and then a few days ago there was a severe setback and William was admitted to the JFK Hospital in Lake Worth, Fl. with occluded heart arteries, a leaky valve and one other problem.  He had been losing weight and suffering from various symptoms recently but his doctors couldn't find anything specific, until this hospital visit after they called me for permission to do a catherization and to check his heart arteries.  A decision to operate hasn't been made yet by the heart surgeon and William is on hold until his platelet situation improves.  He had recently been losing weight, down to 109 lbs as his symptoms increased.  I am posting this in detail specifically for those with MM who are older and might have similar situations, as I know this disease is so little known that I feel it needs more attention and communication.  William had Rubella syndrome at birth, and a patent ductus operation his first year, but for some reason he was in his 40's before the diagnosis of MoyaMoya.  We have been puzzled recently by his various symptoms and weight loss but couldn't determine the cause.  He has had frequent, nearly constant headaches, which are aggravated by sunlight and loud noises, now beginning to diminish somewhat.  It's been a long recovery, and we really had not anticipated this current situation.  Thus I have a personal request for you south Floridians.
If there are any of you living near Lake Worth, perhaps you could look in on him.  He was transferred last evening out of the Intensive Care ward and is awaiting surgery as soon as Monday or Tuesday.   Dawn, his interpreter, should be able to help you.  I'll be going down Monday or Tuesday. Thanks very much for your attention....

IP Logged

corynski
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

lancing, tn
Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 10:31am

Greetings once again..... As I mentioned elsewhere, William had open-heart surgery on Monday, 20 Feb, and is now successfully recovering.  It has been three years since his stroke and operations for moya-moya and he had been having a variety of minor problems until his doctor suggested a test for heart problems.  Dr. Nores of JFK Hospital in Lake Worth, Fl. then discovered two clogged arteries and a leaky valve problem, and Willy is recovering well now from the surgery.  The doctor made a curious comment following the surgery, saying that Willy looked 'old' inside.

charles coryn, Lancing, Tn.

IP Logged

djamelo fotso
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #11 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 8:44am

Greetings Kimberly

Your postings are very encouraging to me as I'm just beginning this journey.  My son Willy, 40 yrs old, was diagnosed by Dr. Mericle yesterday with two clogged carotid Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and has a surgery scheduled for next week.  We don't know why the moyamoya condition was not discovered until he had a stroke on his right side a few weeks back.  Prior to that, all our recent attention was given to skipped heartbeats he experienced in the middle of the night and his BP shooting up. 
I'll just say hello now, as I want to get back to reading more posts.  Dr. Mericle will do 2 operations, and I'm sorry I don't know which at this moment, one next week and another later in the fall.  I'm very hopeful we've caught it in time and that he can begin recovery right away.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge