Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moayamoya and panorex/panolipse radiation exposure (Read 8972 times)
KTiller
Senior Poster

Freeland, USA, usa, 51, 28, WA, Washington
Moayamoya and panorex/panolipse radiation exposure
Jan 5th, 2009 at 5:10pm

Hi, all! Smiley
My mind is constantly considering possible causes of Moyamoya Disease. I suspect there may be multiple causes. Some have gene/genes that seem to be associated with the disease, but others don't. There is literature linking exposure to intense radiation of the brain, such as for treatment of a brain tumor, can cause Moyamoya Syndrome. I've never had a tumor irradiated, but many years ago, maybe fifteen or so, my dentist did a panorex xray of my skull. A quick web search indicates that the radiation exposure is limited, but I'm wondering about that. Could there be a link between a panore xray and Moyamoya in adults? Have any of you with Moyamoya disease had this type of dental ray?

Here's a link to a website with information about panorex;
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It states:
"The axis of rotation in a modern panoramic x-ray machine is constantly moving,
unlike the original model that had a single rotation point. Therefore, no single spot is receiving a "huge" amount of radiation.
In fact, a panoramic radiograph is one of the lowest dose dental examination techniques available
today
."
[This article was written in 2005 - what was the exposure on these earlier models, such as I was exposed to ten years earlier?]

"... the organ doses from digital panoramic radiography are:
brain: 10.1-85.7 µGy;
thyroid: 10.4-52.2 µGy; skin: 0.1-4.1 µGy; bone marrow: 4.6-12.1 µGy. To convert to mrem, or more actually to mrad, divide each dose in µGy by 10."
[Seems a huge range for brain exposure and the dose was likely much higher for earlier models.]

Huh What do you think? Sure would be great if others could be saved from this horrendous Moyamoya experience.
Kim

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Re: Moayamoya and panorex/panolipse radiation exposure
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 12:18pm

Intresting theory but I was diagnosed before I had the X-ray thing you are talking about and I was a healthy child. The only X-rays i remember are the anual teeth, once for phenumonia (chest), and once for an almost broken anckel before my diangosis. I also did the gean analysis and I can up negative. Thier is bairly a chance looking over my family history. Most of my family has had Cancer (ovaren and lung), or diabtetes. I was diagnosed with MM  when i was 23. It will be intersting to see what others respond.
That is my 2 cents.
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Kneeland, USA, 15, 113, C
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 1:39pm

Kim~ And anyone else who wonders......

Interesting topic. Brings up lots of questions we all probably have about when, where, and how we affected with mm. I honor your research and quest.

Here's my 2 cents which really just adds to the data.

I have been partially blind since birth --  1950.
was the rod and cone structure anomaly in my eye it due to the lack of vascular system that was later discovered by Steinberg and Dr. Lawton (SF) in 2000?  Early on, Steinberg commented that he couldn't make a connection...but that was long ago and maybe more is known now. Actually my lack of vascular system was 'accidentally' discovered in the late 1980's during another scan...but there was no moyamoya knowledge for the most part so it went down as just another odd thing about Linda. until the strokes....1999.

I had tons of old time x-rays in the 1950's because my mother sensed that something was wrong with my eye and/or brain. or both. A good eye doctor straightened that out when I was about 5.
My mom also refused to let dentists do x rays every year, as I'd already been x rayed so much.

Who's to know if I did or didn't have a vascular system in/on my left side back then. I tend to think not. If so, where did it go? When" How? Are there traces that it leaves? My scan showed very little happening on that side.

Please keep this quest open.
I'l interested and also want to know.

Linda (LA)

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

Michele
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Yankton, USA, SD, South_Dakota
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 9:55pm

I have no idea what kind of x-rays they were, but in 1983 I had a spinal injury and 3 surgeries to fix it.  Needless to say, LOTS of x-rays!!  My cousin had 2 strokes a few months ago.  He was told he had a narrowing of the arteries, but not moyamoya.  I personally feel like it is just a matter of time before he is doagnosed, so I think we are probably in the genetic "group."  I believe there have been some genetic markers identified and connected to moyamoya, but I wouldn't have a clue where to get tested for them!  Trying to figure out this mystery can be very mind boggling!   Cheesy
God Bless You All!
Michele

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 6:10am

Well, to add Luca's two cents worth, at the ripe old age of 1 she certainly had not had any x-ray in her life. Due to how extensive the moyamoya was in her, they are summising that she's had it from a very young age i.e. her first month or two or even pre-birth.

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Freeland, USA, usa, 51, 28, WA, Washington
Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:54pm

The panorex xray I had was different from the typical bite-wing xrays that the dentist orders to check out a possible cavity. I was standing (I think, it's been a long while ago) and the panorex apparatus then rotated around my entire head, right around the part of the brain that is affected by Moyamoya disease.
I don't think that Moyamoya is caused by the same thing in all people. Especially as some like little Luca are struck at such a very young age. There certainly are a lot of different names for the disease, such as Moyamoya Syndrome and Moyamoya-like.  But, for those of us who made it into our mid-years without symptoms ...? Maybe there is some cause other than genetics or maybe we had a genetic predisposition for Moyamoya, and it had been waiting for some trigger to set it off; something like this type of radiation exposure from this new imaging method, or some other environmental exposure.
I'm just curious as to whether anyone else with Moyamoya has had this particular type of xray as the radiation was focused so directly on the circle of willis and the interanal carotid arteries; those very areas that Moyamoya attacks.
Kim

IP Logged

cdducky
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 1:54am

My husband just had an MCA bypass on the 13th, then on the 21st had a nasty seizure.  He was doing so well.  I have read that mm is common in patients with neurofibramatosis.  My husband has had this for as long as he can remember.  His mother has nf also but never had any of the problems or complications.  No family connection of MM or NF.

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 12:42pm

Not in mine. I am the first with MM. most of my family dies from cancer (lung or overian), and a fwe from diabeties.
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

freckles
Junior Poster

Moyamoya Survivor!!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 4:06pm

ShockedI remember having that x-ray done, the kind that you stand for and it goes around the head at the dentist's office. I only had it once and it [i]was[i] before I was diagnosed. I just can't help but wonder if a one time deal like that could cause moyamoya espcially when there are so many others with it that didn't have it. It makes you wonder just how many causes there can be for moyamoya. It really is interesting though. Sure wish someone would figure it out already!

WWW moyamoyagrl moyamoyagrl  
IP Logged

Michele
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Yankton, USA, SD, South_Dakota
Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 9:33pm

This would be an interesting read for you!
It is only for sale on the internet, (that I could find anyway) but you may be close to a med school w/ a library???

Journal Article
Title      Radiation-Induced Aneurysm and Moyamoya Vessels Presenting with Subarachnoid Haemorrhage

Excerpt      ...of a ruptured internal carotid artery (ICA) aneurysm, with ICA stenosis and moyamoya vessels, was diagnosed in a young female patient after radiotherapy for optic...

Journal      Acta Neurochirurgica
Issue      Volume 142, Number 2 / February, 2000
Authors      K. Maruyama, K. Mishima, N. Saito, T. Fujimaki, T. Sasaki and T. Kirino

« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:50pm by Michele »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge