Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cough Mixture (Read 7926 times)
Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Cough Mixture
Oct 27th, 2009 at 4:18am

Luca, and her brother Matthew, have nasty coughs. She has previously had a croup attack. Do we give moyamoya'ers cough mixture? Are there any ingredients that we should be on the lookout for? When Matthew gets croup we give him Prelone which is a mild quarterzone.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

PaulaMart
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Spain
Re: Cough Mixture
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 9:46am

Hi Mark,

I think you should contact her neurologist or pediatrician in order to ask for advice. I'm not a Dr., but I think that, in principle, all active substances with effect on blood presure and/or effects on vasoconstriction or vasodilatation should be avoided (for example ephedrin, that is used in some antitusive drugs) ...

All the best,

Paula

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 10:35am

As I understand it, a MM patient should never take OTC (over the counter) meds without a doctor’s advice who knows MMD, and one who knows your specific case. It’s dangerous without knowing all her specifics, like her blood pressure, things like that.

Also, like Paula said, most cough or cold combinations cause “vasoconstriction”, whether its slight or severe, which means that some of the ingredients that helps your cough or cold, constricts your blood vessels or restricts the blood flow to the brain, so that’s a risk for an episode. Plus those meds can also raise your blood pressure, which is also risky for a MM patient.

Some medications that cause this vasoconstriction are: antihistamines and decongestants, pseudoepherine, caffeine etc.

We had some good posts on it in the past that you may want to look at.

Cold/Sinus meds OTC:
http://www.moyamoya.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1129120507

Post from Gail (Pharmacist) on medicines to avoid with MM: http://www.moyamoya.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1152538054

It’s a shame she’s little or I’d suggest a decaffeinated herbal tea. I sure hope she’s feeling better soon. Nothing worse than a hacking cough. I wish I could help with an idea… sorry. Keeping her in my prayers.

Mar

IP Logged

Entesar S.
MM.com Benefactor

My nieces Joad has MM

UK
Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 3:48pm

Hi Mark,
Sorry to hear about Mathew and Luca. I hope they both feel better soon.
I agree with Pula and Mar, please talk to Luca’s doctor and ask for some advice and please keep us posted.
I remember Joad before she had her surgeries she took some cough medicine and she had a very bad reaction to it. Her tongue was swollen and she could not speak, her face was all red and she was lying on the floor and refused to move at all for few hours.
All the best and I hope Luca gets better
Take care

Surgeries done at Stanford
Doing Fantastic
Needs physical therapy

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 3:11am

Thanks guys

They were both taken to the doctor yesterday afternoon and as expected Matt was given cough mixture/antihistamine and Luca wasn't. Luca was given an antibiotic because it looks like an infection is brewing. The advise is to nebulise regularly and have a humidifier going in her room and ride it out.

Much appreciate the responses my friends
Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

pamR
Junior Poster

mom of 15 yr old twins,
one with MM

Sellersville, PA
Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 9:45am

I am so thankful for this forum and its great posters. I had been giving my daughter cold medicine a few weeks ago. Never thought it would affect her differently then it did before MM. Going for mother of the year here! I stopped as soon as I read the posts here. Her symptoms were pretty bad, lots of numbness and trouble getting her words out. She hasn't had any numbness since I stopped the medication. THANK YOU!!!THANK YOU!!!!
Pam

IP Logged

Danielle
Junior Poster

3 year old daughter with
Moyamoya disease

Michigan
Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 11:40am

Hello everyone, Just catching up on old posts. Haven't been on in a while thanks for the great advice and info. I have never had to give Adriana cold meds but I will store this away for future reference.

Positive thinking is key!

IP Logged

yunnanababy
Experienced Poster

My daughter had her surgeries
in October 2009

Indianapolis, IN  USA
Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 12:50pm

Thanks to Mark for posting the question and to those who responded.  Great info & I appreciate everyone who takes the time to share here.

Best,

Jenn

Mom to an 9.5 y/o ballerina/guitar player with MMD & an 11.5 y/o gymnast/cross country runner/swimmer!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rubymaejingli
WWW 1422039771&ref=profile  
IP Logged

Astion34
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 12:23pm

i think this will help.

I got cough and took so many medicines than i submit my problem Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and get solution as a home remedies.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge