Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I can't believe... (Read 5456 times)
mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
I can't believe...
Jan 24th, 2011 at 10:46am

It's been 9 yrs. since Kathleen's first stroke and diagnosis of Moyamoya. It was 9 yrs ago last Tuesday. She was not quite 5 yrs old at the time. What a shock...I had no idea that children could have strokes.This day will always be an emotional day for me since it was probably the most life altering day of our lives. It was the first day of a long journey of strokes, surgeries, and rehab. I think I'm most thankful that none of this actually changed "who" she is just how she does things. It definatly changed me, but for the better. I'm more appreciative of every healthy day, I've slowed down to enjoy more of the little things, and I've learned that god really didn't give us more than we can handle. I remember praying out loud as Kathleen's most severe stroke slowly took away her voice, arms, legs, and smile. Praying that she would just survive and I didn't care if she could walk or talk. We could live with that just NOT without her. Here we are 9 yrs later and "liveing" with it all. She's taught us how to live with it and to laugh, AND her smile is back her voice is back and she's walking! So I believe my prayers were more than answered. For this I"m thankful. For the next 6 months or so there are some very significant days that are very emotional, more strokes, surgeries and rehab. Sometimes I can't believe it's been only 9yrs and sometimes I feel like it was a lifetime ago. We have lots more work to do but Kathleen has come a long way and continues to be determined, strong and vey happy. And most importantly stroke free!!! She will always be at a high risk for strokes and seizures but time has allowed us to not focuse on this and enjoy each healthy day. Thanks for reading if you got this far...I know I get started and write a novel sometimes. I appreciate all the help and wisdom this group has offered.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Re: I can't believe...
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 12:42pm

Mary Grace
Congradulations!! I am so happy to hear Kathleen is stroke free for so long!! Stay strong!
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 4:22pm

Congratulations Mary Grace and Kathleen!  This is great!  Keep up the good work!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 1:03am

Hi Mary Grace

9 years is an unbelievable milestone. You can be very proud of Kathleen, she is an incredible young lady.

Take care and stay strong.
Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Kneeland, USA, 15, 113, C
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 10:33pm

Congratulations!

How totally wonderful.

You are an inspiration.

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

leemyd
New Poster

Daughter: STA-MCA Bypass
at age of 9 in 2007

Herndon, USA, VA, Virginia
Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 9:07pm

I think many of us can relate to the many late night, all night prayers, and truly being thankful for anything else other than the loss of your child.  Three years for my daughter since her surgery, and three amazing and blessed years for me and my wife.  Congratulations to you and your daughter on your 9 year celebration.

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 11:03am

Thanks everyone... It really is great to have others who know exactly what you've experienced and how important these milestones are. For those jsut starting this journey, we used to count the day's,then weeks and months and now we're counting the years. It goes very fast yet it's hard to remember a time that moyamoya was not in our vocabulary. Fro us it's more about the strokes that she had and all that goes with the very long recovery. If  she had not had the severe strokes life would be much different I think.
Mary

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge