Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does Dr. Steinberg take care of kids? (Read 5930 times)
lynn
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Michigan
Does Dr. Steinberg take care of kids?
Feb 15th, 2011 at 1:25pm

My 16-year-old was diagnosed last month.  We have seen a local neurosurgeon once and left unimpressed.  He has never cared for a patient with moyamoya and is shying away from surgery.  He talked like it wouldn't be necessary because there are some blood vessels pulling forward from the rear part of his brain.  We haven't heard his final recommendation because he won't be meeting with his team until the first Friday in March to discuss it. 

I have been working to get his records and a copy of his angiogram.  I was able to pick the rest of it up yesterday and was getting the information to fax the papers and overnight the disc.  I was unsure of an address so I called and was told that Dr. Steinberg sees adults only.  Is this true?  If so, would you recommend I still send him the information?  I am looking for both a second opinion in case the local surgeon officially says no to surgery and a doctor to handle the surgery.  I chose Dr. Steinberg because he is the one in the country with the most experience and I thought that would make it an easier fight with the insurance company if they should decide to fight the claims because of what the local guy says.  I am also impressed with the program at Stanford and Dr. Steinberg himself.

Any words of wisdom?

IP Logged

dmm
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Does Dr. Steinberg take care of kids?
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:25pm

I don't know if Dr Steinberg treats kids but they were happy to review my daughter's case and she was 17. From other posts on this site it appears that Dr Scott from Boston treats children, and will review cases. Maybe you could contact them.
Good luck.

IP Logged

leemyd
New Poster

Daughter: STA-MCA Bypass
at age of 9 in 2007

Herndon, USA, VA, Virginia
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 8:36pm

I'm not aware of any recent changes to his policy but Dr. Steinberg operated on my daughter when she was 9.  In fact, there was another boy aged 9 with MM who had surgery that same day.  Dr. Steinberg was a Godsend to us and his staff was amazing.  I don't think there is anyone else with more experience with kids than Dr. Steinberg. 

It amazes me, based on postings on this board, that local Neurologists and Neurosurgeons too often fail, IMHO, to provide proper guidance/recommendations and I can't help suspecting that few conduct the proper research prior to giving guidance.  We were very luck.  Dr. Keating at the National Children's Hospital in DC, a well reputed Neurosurgeon who have operated on MM patients in special case adults, working in one of the best children's hospital recommended to us, 'if it was my child, I would send her to Dr. Steinberg.' Thank God for Doctors like Keating and Steinberg. 

Best of luck

IP Logged

mc823923
Junior Poster

My dauaghter Annamarie
lives with mm

Baton Rouge, USA, usa, 345, 271, LA, Louisiana
Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 1:00pm

Yes, Dr Steinberg does take children.  He operated on my daughter at 16 and again at 18.  He is wonderful, I would recommend him to anyone.  We went from Louisiana to see him.  Sorry you need him, but you will be in the best of hands with him.

Love and prayers,
Margaret

Margaret

IP Logged

lynn
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Michigan
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 1:44pm

Thank you for your replies.  I have emailed Theresa (sp?) for instruction on sending the information and learned that she is on vacation at this point.  I will send it when I hear from her.

IP Logged

mc823923
Junior Poster

My dauaghter Annamarie
lives with mm

Baton Rouge, USA, usa, 345, 271, LA, Louisiana
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 5:00pm

Lynn,

Go ahead and contact Jill MacInnes, she will be glad to give you all the information you need.  She is wonderful and works with Teresa as well.

Good luck,
Margaret

Margaret

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Freeland, USA, usa, 51, 28, WA, Washington
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 9:07pm

Hi Lynn,
You needn't wait until Theresa returns from vacation.There will be someone available at the Moyamoya Clinic in Stanford who can tell you how to send in your child's scans and such.
Stanford Moyamoya Clinic
Phone: (650) 723-5575
Fax: (650) 723-1948
Kim

IP Logged

lynn
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Michigan
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 9:13pm

Thank you so much Margaret and Kim!  I will be calling Monday morning.

IP Logged

hillary
Senior Poster

My daughter Holly has
MM

new braunfels, USA, usa, 279, 285, TX, Texas
Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 3:29pm

Lynn, my daughter was diagnosed when she was 9 and had her surgeries at Stanford with Dr. Steinberg 3 wks after diagnosis.  He and his team are wonderful and we love them. 

We are in the processing of doing follow up tests with them as well.  I am happy to help you in any way I can.

Hillary

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge