Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does everybody have a neurologist? (Read 7075 times)
lynn
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Michigan
Does everybody have a neurologist?
Dec 7th, 2011 at 11:43pm

We do not currently have a neurologist for my son.  He had surgery at Stanford in April.  We went back for the six month check and were told that we can get by with a good primary doctor and no neurologist.  He has so many problems with headaches still though, and his primary doctor is a pediatrician who is afraid to do anything much for headaches.  I am unsure as to what my next step should be.

Should we keep trying to find a neurologist?  Should we move him to a different primary doctor?  He is 17 so it wouldn't be a crazy idea to find him an adult doctor.  Is there a different type of doctor who would be helpful for finding some help for his headache?

Thank you all for your thoughts.

IP Logged

pamR
Junior Poster

mom of 15 yr old twins,
one with MM

Sellersville, PA
Re: Does everybody have a neurologist?
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 7:17am

Hi, I would highly recommend you find a neurologist, and one with some experience with MM. A general practitioner is not specialized and I think in any case, you need both. Good luck, and you may want to start looking at a childrens hospital in your area.

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 9:08am

I would reccommend finding a neurologist also, prefferable with MM experience ( if they don't you can always bring them some good information). Of course the obviouse being this is the best doc to deal with headaches. My daughter is 10 yrs post surgery and she still sees a neurologist. I think it's important to have that contact with a neurologist who can get to know your child and MM disease. If you ever have any complications down the road you actually ahve someone to call and even see your son in the office or the ER if need be. It's very difficult to go to the ER and see a neurologist who has no background with your child or to get an appointment with a neurologist quickly if your not already established with one.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 9:58am

I would recommend finding a neurologist to help with the headaches. If you like a neurologist but they are not experienced in MM then ask that neurologist to communicate with Dr.Steinberg or Dr. Scott in how to properly treat a patient with MM.

My family practice and my OBGYN have both had conversations with my neurologist. They both did some research into MM  themselves too so that way they can make informed decisions on any not neurological medications to prescribe me when I need them.

I hope this helps,
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

azhurds
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:25pm

I agree about finding a neurologist you need a doctor that is experienced and possibly worked with other patients who have Moya-Moya and other things such as headaches and other head related issues.  Peditricians might know about the disease but don't have the experience.  My daughters' neurologist actually passed her to the neuro-surgeon and that is who we see when we have questions or have a follow up appt.   In fact our neuro-surgeon said that any new medicines or procedures that your daughter needs, has to be cleared through me first.

IP Logged

lynn
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Michigan
Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 12:51am

It's been difficult.  Our area has just one pediatric neurology office.  My son was finally diagnosed through that office.  He was sent to a pediatric neurosurgeon for surgery and we basically ran away and never went back there!  The neurology office is VERY difficult to communicate with.  They don't return phone calls.  They have, so far, ignored my requests to contact Dr. Steinberg.  After we returned from Stanford, my son had an episode that worried me and when I contacted Teresa about it she recommended we head to the ER.  The pediatric neurologist there prescribed a medicine for him to help his brain heal and to alleviate his headache.  She said that she has had several moyamoya patients.  I was so excited!  Until I asked Teresa about the medicine she prescribed.  Teresa said that he should no way take that--it could very well cause a stroke.  She wanted the neurologist to call her so she could discuss care for my son.  I tried for a month, calling and calling, requesting that they call Stanford.  That was in May.  They still haven't called Stanford.  This is the only pediatric neurology office!

I have been working with the pediatrician, who has had to get all of appointments for testing and everything because the neurology office won't.  The pediatrician has tried all of the adult neurologists in the area to see if they would be willing to take my son (since he is 17 years old now).  Nobody will.  I don't know what to do.  It all seems so ridiculous and unreal!

I just don't know what to do.

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 7:54am

Lynn,
I am so sorry that you have to experience a bad doctor. I went through a similar experience before I was officially diagnosed with MM. I was got a migraine and went to my old family practice doctor. She prescribe me a medication that people with MM should avoid but since I was unaware of the MM I took it. Then I has a stroke.When I had my stroke I only presented full stroke symptoms for less then 5 mins so my husband and I passed it off as something else and didn't go to the hospital, but back to that doc. That doctor said I was faking the residual effects and said I was being a baby about it to my husband so he requested to see another doctor in the clinic. That doctor said get to the hospital now because I had a stroke. The neurologist at the hospital confirmed the stroke but could not tell were it came from. Six months later of testing to try and find the cause of my stroke she sent me to get a 2nd opinion. That doctor said MM but when I went back to my neurologist, I was told that it was impossible for me to have it since I am not Asian. So I went to the Mayo Clinic in MN and that neurologist said MM too. Well I switch doctors then. The Mayo neurologist recommended a neurologist closer to where I live that has good experience in dealing with MM so I am seeing him for all my followups. So what I am trying to say is that you are not alone. You will find the neurologist you are looking for it may just take some time. I reported the family clinic doctor who called me a faking baby to the .... I am forgetting the information but I got the number from my insurance company.  There are some bad doctors who seem to be so full of themselves that they are unwilling to work with others who may have more knowledge then they do. I hope you can find another neurological clinic to work with and some other doctors who are willing to learn. Stay strong and keep moving forward. One day you will look back on this and be proud that you never gave up.
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

kim h
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 4:01am

my daughter has 2 neurologist, 2 neurosurgens, under the neuro nurseing team both for ped's and adult local in newcastle, 2 and neurosurgens in sydney. if any thing goes wrong i ring the hosp and her team is there wiating for her and it takes up to 15min to get to the hosp. your gp should help you find some one that suits if not get rit of them they don't care, i'm very lucky have a great team

IP Logged

GITANA13
New Poster

I love my little one!

MIAMI, USA, usa, FL, Florida
Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:49pm

Hi... Can you travel to Florida?  Bathia in Miami Childrens Horpital... My daughter is with same doctor since 2003. Smiley

IP Logged

lynn
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Michigan
Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:10am

GITANA13 wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:49pm:
Hi... Can you travel to Florida?  Bathia in Miami Childrens Horpital... My daughter is with same doctor since 2003. Smiley

I wish!  It's freezing cold and blowing snow up here in Michigan tonight and I would love nothing more than to head to the sunny south for a doctor appointment.  Wink

I, personally, am willing to travel anywhere I need to to get some help for my son.  My insurance, however, will not approve anything outside of their network.  They rather rapidly approved the surgery in California but they have really dug in their heels when it comes to allowing us to go out-of-network for the neurologist.  And without insurance, it isn't very easy to convince a doctor that we really are good for the money.  The good news is that we finally got an appointment last week with a local neurologist.  Both my son and I left feeling much more positive than we had expected.  She has recommended some testing and then evaluating the results to determine which route would be best to take to try to get the headache under control somewhat.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge