Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stints vs. Bypass (Read 5913 times)
Kathymc
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

massachusetts
Stints vs. Bypass
Jan 14th, 2012 at 3:49pm

Has anyone had a stint placed instead of going the way of a bypass to open an artery? And how was your outcome? My leftside bypass did not work, now they've found a 2nd blockage that my neurologist is talking about having a stint put in.
Kathy

IP Logged

lynn
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Michigan
Re: Stints vs. Bypass
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 7:34pm

It is my understanding that the use of stents is not a great choice.  I had read quite a few times about it pre-surgery for my son but it looks like this is the only web page I kept.  (http://jnis.bmj.com/content/early/2010/09/29/jnis.2010.3004.abstract)  It was catastrophic for this person.

I wish you well in your research and treatment choice.

IP Logged

Jen
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 7:24am

I would go with the bypass surgery if I was you but I'm not you or your surgeon.  I just know what worked for me.

IP Logged

Kathymc
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

massachusetts
Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 9:25pm

Thanks for the website, that was one of the ones my husband had looked at this past week. My neurologist in Boston will be seeing Dr. Steinberg at a conference the end of this month and will be bringing a CD of my tests done for his to look at. Thank you so much for your inputs. I'm just leery myself of another bypass when the first one did not take.

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 10:29pm

Kathy,

If you search for "stent" in the search box at the top, left of the page you will find a lot of conversatoins on this site over the years about stenting.

Also, probably the best resource on the topic is this short paper from Dr. Steinberg and his team at Stanford: http://neurosurgery.stanford.edu/moyamoya/Angioplasty%20and%20stenting%20.%20.%20.%20Moyamoya%20Angiopathy%202010.pdf

To sum it up: Percutaneous balloon angioplasty and/or stenting may be an attractive, less invasive treatment to achieve immediate increase in cerebral blood flow with a shorter hospitalization time in comparison to microsurgical revascularization. However, in our small series the recurrence of clinical symptoms and evidence of restenosis and/or occlusion in previously angioplastied and/or stented vessels with an average period of 1.8 months and 3.9 months, respectively, provides evidence that endovascular  treatment is not durable and may not provide longterm prevention against future ischemic events in MMD.

Hope this helps!

DJ

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

cri4315
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 11:34pm

My 1st bypass did NOT work either. I sent all my CD's to Stienburg. Granted I am NOT 100% better but I am only 2 months post op. However I have NOT ended up in the ER with a stroke or stroke like symptoms. Stienburg and crew are the BEST!!! I had my first surgery in MN with a yahoo of a doctor. He felt the surgery was a complete success then decided it did NOT work and wanted to use stints. I searched and searched for info on stints and the outcome I had found was NOT what I wanted to hear at all so I contacted Stanford and they were MORE then willing to look at everything and within 2 weeks of reviewing my CD's they called and had surgery all set up. If you have ANY questions at all please feel free to contact me through email at crissacichon@hotmail.com please please please put moyamoya in the subject line.
I was broke as a joke and found the cheapest ways to get by when I was there also met TONS of wonderful people that are still there that are willing to help out anyone I send there way. SO please if you need anything or have questions email me. Also a little info about me 31 year old female. 4 strokes, 1 optical stroke. 17 surgeries to just repair my scalped after my first surgery as the surgeon took half of my scalp/skull off to repair it. My scalp died had a skin graft from my thigh twice. Had a major brain bleed after 1st surgery. Had surgery Aug 23,2010 spent more time in hospitals then I was home. It was HORRIBLE.
Now after my CA trip I have ended up in ER twice because my regular Doc here decided to take my stitches out before they were ready. The Doc here called CA and Stienburgs team walked them step by step on what to do. When my Doc did NOT listen CA team told them to fly me down there. So they listened to the the orders and stabled me back up and now am doing well. Only slight numbness in face and hands. It happens when I don't take my meds ON TIME. Also get headaches. Also have blindness in my left eye and some sort of palsy on my left side but that is because the surgery Steinburg did was NOT the normal moyamoya surgery he had WAY WAY WAY to much scar tissue to work through and my scar is on my actual temple not near my ear. Its NOT Steinburgs fault at ALL it is the yahoo I had here in Minnesota. Blindness is only when its cold. Well I am in MN so everytime I go outside. LOL I am so looking to move. Palsy WILL come back. Headaches WILL get better. If I REMEMBER to take meds on time numbness goes away. I am just to darn busy to remember. LOL
Please contact me I have friends willing to pick you up from Airport. I have contact info for WONDERFUL Apartment that is income based. Great/cheap resturants to eat at. I found all the cheap places to go Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Cool Roll Eyes Tongue Kiss

IP Logged

Kathymc
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

massachusetts
Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 12:53am

Thanks DJ and Cris, my Dr in Boston is sending my CD's to Dr. Steinberg, so It's a matter of wait and hear....And Cris, I may be in touch with you about the information for California.

Kathy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge