Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Who's the oldest living person w MMD stroke-free? (Read 4722 times)
b1uesmiley
New Poster

It is the LIFE in your
years that count

Canada
Who's the oldest living person w MMD stroke-free?
Feb 21st, 2012 at 6:19am

It has been suggested that there are not many who live past their early middle age years (early 40's) stroke-free. Let me further explain...

My research refers to MM patient who have been diagnosed and have not yet had treatment (surgery).

While it is obviously preferable to have surgery done to prolong/even prevent MM in offsetting any strokes; my research suggests that the chances are higher in having a stroke the longer MM goes untreated (surgery).

In my case. I had an EC/IC bypass surgery done (August 2010) but the surgery was unsuccessful. I was 30 years old at the time, now 33. I have now been trying to recover from my surgery, but it has proven to be quite slow. I've had quite a bit of set backs with my recovery. This puts me right back where I began; my MMD still untreated. My stroke-like symptoms have slowly been progressing.

I understand surgery is favorable when done before a stroke and least favorable after having a stroke. So this is where my concern lies, given the progressive nature of MMD; Prompting my question:

What is the oldest someone has lived stroke-free with their MMD untreated (without any brain surgery done)?   

Any replies would be greatly appreciated 

IP Logged

grandmaduck62
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Port Neches, Texas
Re: Who's the oldest living person w MMD stroke-free?
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 6:48pm

Hey smiley,
In January of 2008 (I was 58) I was diagnosed with Moyamoya and was told it was a children's disease. Apparently I should have had more/severe symptoms before then. At that time I was having speech,memory, thought problems and one week later I had a successful STA-MCA on my left side. At this time I still have not had a stroke (knock on wood) but wonder when the next symptoms will appear. Smiley

IP Logged

russan1959
Junior Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Palatine, USA, IL, Illinois
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:53pm

Hello, I was 40 when I had my first stroke. Had EDAS surgery and am now 54 stroke free. Wish you the best.
Russ

IP Logged

Larry
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Austintown,Oh
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 5:52pm

I was 57 years old when i was diagnosed at the Cleveland Clinic.  In June of 2010 I had my right side STA-MCA bypass.  In November 2010 (1 week before my 58th birthday) I had my left side STA-MCA bypass.  Dr.s say I have not had a major stroke but probably had TIA's. I still am having headaches (especially with high levels of stress).  I am having headaches due to the changing weather (rain, low pressure). I also experience memory issues, especially short term.

Lawrence Roth  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge