Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GCA Great Cell Arteritis or Temporal Arterititis (Read 2919 times)
Larry
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Austintown,Oh
GCA Great Cell Arteritis or Temporal Arterititis
May 2nd, 2013 at 7:04pm

Anyone ever hear of this before? Tuesday night I found myself going to the ER with unexplained pain and burning sensation on both sides of my head near my incision sights from my 2 STA-MCA by passes.  Of course no one at my local ER knew anything about Moyamoya or even heard of these types of surgeries.  I was diagnosed with this (GCA) which strikes adults 55+ and was told left untreated could lead to blindness.  I was immediately put on an IV steroid and given a SED blood test.  My SED test came back negative but was given a script for predisone and told to see my PCP.  I saw him today and was given a second SED test and it came back negative.  I found out this GCA is unexplained and attacks blood vessels and causes them to inflame and cut off blood flow.  Sounds a little like something else ?  I am nervous because this sudden onset to blood vessels that now supply my brain has me concerned. I was appreciate any feedback or knowledge on this subject.  By the way the pain has subsided after the steroid tratment.

Lawrence Roth  
IP Logged

lynn
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Michigan
Re: GCA Great Cell Arteritis or Temporal Arterititis
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2013 at 9:04pm

My dad had giant cell arteritis.  He had problems with pain in his neck and head for years before he woke up one morning with no sight in one eye.  The doctors who were baffled before, now knew exactly what he had!  He too was put on a pretty high dose of steroids to decrease the inflammation.  From what I understand, giant cell arteritis causes decreased blood flow due to inflammation, which is due to an autoimmune reaction.  The steroids will get the inflammation under control for you and should save your sight, also keep your blood flowing good.  My dad ended up needing to keep up a pretty high level of prednisone to keep his inflammation under control.  I am glad you were diagnosed before you lost any vision!

Can you contact the neurosurgeon who did your surgeries?  He may be able to put your mind at ease concerning your latest development.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge