Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recently Diagnosed (Read 5201 times)
Soren SC
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Recently Diagnosed
Jul 25th, 2012 at 1:20am

My fiance is 54 years old and was recently told he has MM.  We live in Alberta, Canada but he is from Denmark and is only here as a visitor.  He started having TIA's in June, his first one was on June 23, he has had at least 20 since then ranging anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes.  When the longest one occured he was taken by ambulance and was admitted and spent 10 days in the hospital while they did a ton of tests...the entire time we were in the dark as to what they were even looking for, it wasnt until the 8th day in the hospital that we learned that he had Moyamoya. 

He was discharge on July 7th and today we returned to the hospital so he could get another MRI and to have a follow up appointment.  I have done extensive research and all my research says that surgery is the best option.  The doctor however feels that trying different drug therapies is the way to go right now.  He is setting up an appointment with a  neurosurgeon, however he said that he feels this would be a last resort.  I agree that surgery shouldnt be entered into lightly but at this point he can't drive, work or engage in any "intimacy" ... yes that's right lol.  What kind of quality of life can he expect when he's just sitting around waiting? 

At this time he has had no permanent brain damage and the Doctor feels that he is at low risk for having a stroke...does any one have any thoughts on this? 

The hospital that he is being treated at has the leading stroke clinic in Canada...so should we just wait it out? Should we try and contact someone else for a second opinion?  How long have other people waited from diagnosis to surgery? 

He is scared and turns to me for information and reassurance since english is his second language and because he is so far from home.  Im scared, and desperate to give him answers to make him feel better, I don't feel like I have the answers he needs.

Cry

IP Logged

Kathymc
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

massachusetts
Re: Recently Diagnosed
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 1:40am

My Neurologist in Boston has said the same thing to me for the last 3 years. He did send me to a neurosurgeon the month I was told I had MM. Even though my Doc thought surgery was not needed the surgeon told me if I did not have it I would have a stroke or worse within five years. I had the surgery on the left side. I still have problems, don't drive, am on disability and the remaining years since has been a wait and see attitude. Now because of this the MM has gone to the right side and the center "watershed" area also has a blockage. My Doctor at Beth Israel who is one of the top Stroke doctors in the US and abroad still has a wait and see treatment plan with me. I understand the frustration. It has taken the 2 3/4 years since my first surgery to have him do an angiogram to see where we stand. We asked him to send it to Dr. Steinberg in California who is the top surgeon for this Condition. Go to the neurosurgeon, it's his life and he should do what he feels best. The stroke doctor has to accept his choice.  Good luck.

IP Logged

Soren SC
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 10:20am

Thank you for responding.  You have confirmed what I thought... that they would drag it out.  I guess we will just have to push for them to do something. 

I hope things work out for you Smiley

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:16am

I think if you can get copies of his scans and send them to Dr. Steinberg it would be a good idea.  He will always look and give you his opinion.  It is progressive and I never understand doctors that take the "wait and see" approach.  There are no meds to treat it with.  Having said that most people with MM are on some kind of blood thinner or an aspirin a day.  That isn't going to stop the progression.  Right now surgery is the only optionas far as I know.  Dr. Steinberg's information is under the surgeons list.  Good luck with everything!
Donna

Destin's mom

IP Logged

Soren SC
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 9:45pm

Thanks Donna, Next time we go see the doctor I will ask how we can get copies of all of his scans.

IP Logged

Kathymc
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

massachusetts
Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 12:06am

Karen, all you have to do is go the hospital or clinic that did the tests and go to their records department. You do not need the doctors consent to get copies of any tests/scans done. They are yours to get whenever you need them. I have had to go and get mine a few times as I've had different tests at different hospitals that are not connected with one another.  Good luck. Smiley

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:41am

I agree with Kathy.  I always get the CD/DVD of Destin's MRI's, MRA's, Angiograms etc and keep a copy at home.  Whenever we get a new doctor I will take the disks with me so they can look at them if they want to.  It  educates them and I feel better knowing they are better informed.  They may charge you a small fee and if you want the "written" results it can get pricey because of so many pages.  I usually just get the disks.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

Ayelen
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 5:35am

Hi,
You mention he is worried being away from home and his mother tongue...
Has he considered going through the system in Denmark?
My son (19 months old, MMD) is Danish and, even though there is no expert in MM as such, they have seen several cases before (in Skejby, I'm not sure where your husband is from) and they are good at referring cases for surgery to the Charite Hospital in Berlin, where they operate around 50 cases a year. For your fiance it would be free of cost as he's a citizen of EU.
Send me an email (ayelensuarez@hotmail.com) if you or him would like more information on doctors, contact, names, etc.
Ayelén

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge