Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Skydiving & Rollercoasters (Read 7265 times)
gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Skydiving & Rollercoasters
Jan 1st, 2013 at 1:31pm

For those of you (moyamoya patients, friends & family members of moyamoya patients, etc.) who do not realize, Dr. Steinberg recently lifted the restriction of skydiving & high-speed rollercoasters for moyamoya patients. I'd been wanting to skydive ever since I could remember, so this was the fulfilling of a dream (both in getting to skydive & to raise awareness). Here's the video footage of my experience yesterday. Now on to figure out the next bucket list item...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piGWnD5HBi4

Smiley Tara

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Re: Skydiving & Rollercoasters
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 5:47pm

Tara, that is so awesome.  I honestly had to chole back tears watching you.  You have achieved so much and it should be an inspiration to everyone who has Moyamoya.
I do have a couple of questions becasue I know Destin is going to ask.  Is the restriction lifted for people who have had the surgery?  Destin still hasn't had it on one side and she has early stage on the left now.  Did he lift the restriction on SCUBA?  She loves rollercoasters and has ignore all the warnings to stay away from them. This will make her very happy!

Destin's mom

IP Logged

yunnanababy
Experienced Poster

My daughter had her surgeries
in October 2009

Indianapolis, IN  USA
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 4:01pm

Quite inspiring!  Thank you for your efforts to raise MM awareness and for sharing your experience...loved it!!! Grin

Mom to an 9.5 y/o ballerina/guitar player with MMD & an 11.5 y/o gymnast/cross country runner/swimmer!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rubymaejingli
WWW 1422039771&ref=profile  
IP Logged

CJ Reilly
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 12:36pm

hrsridermom wrote on Jan 1st, 2013 at 5:47pm:
  Did he lift the restriction on SCUBA? 

Destin's Mom -- I have MM and have been SCUBA diving with no issue.  I don't have my PADI Card or anything, but have done the "resort cert" classes while on vacation that get you go down only about 20-30 ft.  So, maybe "testing the waters" ( Grin ) first with a small dive would be a good idea for her...? 

Hope this helps a little!

Best,
CJ

IP Logged

mattsmom
Junior Poster

My son, Matthew, has moyamoya.

Albuquerque, USA, usa, 180, 215, NM, New_Mexico
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 4:02pm

My son, Matthew, had the pial synangiosis procedure from Dr. Scott.  He has said that with the good vascularization Matthew has had he can ride rollercoasters, scuba, or skydive. (This procedure doesn't have any of the vessels on scalp issues that the EDAS has, is my understanding, so the mask for scuba doesn't irritate the temple region). Dr. Scott did also say that he had no idea why anyone would want to skydive.   Wink

Kimber

ksanchezs  
IP Logged

Cherry (LuckyMe)
Junior Poster

Get busy on living or
get busy on dying?

Chicago, USA, IL, Illinois
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 12:42pm

really encouraging news! I was a certified SCUBA diver prior to surgery, with the new lifting, I couldn't wait to try diving again!

Cherry (LuckyMe)  
IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 8:46pm

HOOray for you, TARA!!  What a thrill that must've been!  My hat's off to you!
So Kyle's surgeon never gave us any restrictions (but Kyle was only 4 then).  He has ridden LOTS of rollercoasters, but I doubt he would ever scuba or skydive - not quite that brave..... Roll Eyes

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 11:50pm

Hi All!

Donna (specifically in answer to your question),
As far as I know - the restriction was lifted for rollercoasters & skydiving (I haven't heard that it was lifted for scuba diving). And yes, I believe the guidelines were pertaining to what he suggests patients do (or, not do) following their surgeries.

Probably the best thing (for any patient to do) would be to consult with the treating physician - the doctor who is/has the most "hands-on" the patient's specific case - who is the most familiar in their personal circumstances.

This is the list of Stanford's/Steinberg's FAQs regarding MMD:
http://stanfordhospital.org/clinicsmedServices/COE/neuro/moyamoyaDisease/faq.html

All my best, Tara

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge