Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Update - 2 yrs since dx (Read 3492 times)
Astrea
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Update - 2 yrs since dx
Jun 1st, 2013 at 10:11pm

So, I haven't posted in a while.  I was dx in April 2011 by accident.  No symptoms whatsoever, but went to ER w vertigo and in trying to rule out vasculitis they found moyamoya, left side only.

After consult with dr. Scott at Children's Boston, I was referred to a neurosurgeon at Brigham and Women's.  she had me get CT scans w contrast twice in the first year and saw no changes.  Still no symptoms.  Good blood flow before and after the occlusion.

Third scan we switched to an MRI to reduce radiation exposure.  dr thought that she might be seeing some progression of the disease, but I was still asymptomatic, so we waited 6 more months and went back to the CT with contrast this May (2 weeks ago).  Comparison of most recent scan to first scan and last CT before MRI showed no changes.  So the difference the dr saw was just the difference in clarity between MRI and CT in viewing arteries and blood vessels.

So, since I have no symptoms, and have had no change for two years, we are moving to a scan every year, and going back to MRI now that we have a baseline.

Living with the uncertainty of it all is still stressful, but I'm hopeful that things will continue as is...

IP Logged

Jane oznva
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Update - 2 yrs since dx
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 11:31am

Hi Astrea,
That is really interesting. Our 13 yr old son was also diagnosed "accidentially" just in March following an MRI and he has suffered no physical symptoms at all, but does have Neurofibromatosis 1.  However he had a total occulsion of the Right  Middle cerebral artery and extensive Moyamoya vessels which indicated a high threat level of impending stroke occurrence. What we did find however was a significant decline in his cognitive function particularly with working memory, processing speed and speech articulation.  After talking with Dr. Steinberg in Stanford we found out this is a common occurrence with Moyamoya patients, so we have opted for surgery in July.
I certainly can relate to your stress in waiting for things like a TIA or stroke to occur, as that is how we have felt since the diagnosis.  If you are interested Dr Scott and Ed Smith from Boston Children's MM clinic, have a good study from 2011 related to "Discovery of Asymptomatic MM" but it relates to children.
I am so glad your MM is monitored so closely and you have no progression.  Good luck.

IP Logged

Astrea
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Update - 2 yrs since dx
Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 8:12pm

Jane - I can understand why you are opting for surgery for your son.  Hopefully it will allow him to get back to his old self and you can get back to enjoying the teenage years Smiley

Yes, I feel fortunate to have been evaluated by dr Scott (BIG perk to living in Boston) and love the surgeon he referred me to.  I have already dealt with a five year battle with ulcerative colitis that resulted in four major intestinal surgeries and in the end a permanent ileostomy (which I love!) so the longer I can avoid surgery the better.  Plus I have a 7 and 5 year old and I'd like them to be as old as possible before I need to have surgery.  Hoping the surgeon is right and the stability is a good predictor of the future!

Good luck to your son and your family with the surgery.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge