Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to us, How do we handle all this? (Read 10524 times)
Jkingseed5
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Mccutchenville
New to us, How do we handle all this?
Jul 21st, 2013 at 9:56am

Hi my 7 year old daughter was just diagnosed with MoyaMoya May 22. On June 11th she had surgery(left pial synangiosis) done on the left side of her brain.  She has had no strokes to date and is very Healthy other than the MoyaMoya, is this normal or should we be afraid of new problems arising?  Also,  will this new lifestyle we had to accompany with having the surgery of "relaxed" living be forever or a temporary thing?  She is 1 month out of surgery and is doing great but I feel she wants to do so much already what can we expect from this disease?  I am having a hard time grasping how fast our life changed how do you handle this?  Thank you again for all your help! Smiley

Jkingseed5

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Re: New to us, How do we handle all this?
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 9:27am

That's great that your daughter is feeling so well after surgery. I think that's exactly what you can expect for her a normal life without much restriction.(except the hydration and hyperventilation percautions) I think you can expect a very normal life for your daughter. I think the strokes are what really change the lives of most moyamoya patients. My daughter had several strokes and the only issues we have are the complications that these caused. She has had no more problems with the moyamoya, and she's 11 years post surgery. Her blood flow is very good. Kids recover so quickly it seems. Will the Dr.s keep an eye on the other side for MM? If you have any other specific questions please feel free to ask away. I hope your daughter continues to recover without complications.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Jkingseed5
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Mccutchenville
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2013 at 3:45pm

Thank You so much for answering my questions, I know there was a lot of them!  If you don't mind me asking, did your daughter have these stroke before or after surgery?  Yes the doctors are keeping an eye on her, she is seeing a neurologist for the rest of her life which is what I presume is usual.  Do you know with the hydration and hyperventilation precautions will she be able to play sports?  Also, since having Moyamoya will this mean she is a stroke risk even though she has not had one?  Is it normal for moyamoya patients to go through life without ever having a stroke or other underlying issues?  Thanks again and I hope your daughter continues with a long happy life!
Jeni K.

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 11:03am

My daughter never had a stroke.  We found hers because of headaches.  She had surgery on one side almost 5 years ago.  She continued doing all the things she had done before surgery...band (played clarinet), rollercoasters, riding horses (hunter/jumper).  If she felt she was getting to her limit she would stop.  The hardest thing for her was to stay hydrated.  she wasn't in the habit of drinking a lot of water.  After 5 years she's finally getting better.  She now has it on the left side so another surgery is in her future...hopefully before a stroke.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

Jkingseed5
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Mccutchenville
Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2013 at 2:10pm

Wow, That's great to know!!  I feel very much relieved knowing that she will not be limited!  That is also how we found out about our daughters was by the migraines. I hope for continued recovery for your daughter and hope everything goes well for the left side!

IP Logged

Jax
MM.com Benefactor

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 6:18am

My son had surgery 5 years ago and he never had any strokes either. He is now 10 and enjoys cross country running, swim team, dive team, canoeing, rock climbing, bike riding, roller coasters and playing in the surf at the ocean.
We did stop the Karate lessons when they started sparring.

Your lives can return to "remarkably normal" after the initial worry and panic.

IP Logged

Jkingseed5
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Mccutchenville
Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 8:51am

That is so Great to hear!!  We are now back to school and it' is quite different all the precautions we are taking!  I feel like the school is on constant watch of her since they have never heard of this disease before and I almost feel like it scares them.  Of Course it scares myself as well we just keep taking it day by day! Thank you so much everyone for reassuring me that life will return to normal!

Jeni

IP Logged

Lilian
Junior Poster

Leiden, Netherlands, europe, 222, 235
Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 3:36pm

Am I the only one who does have problems?
My energy levels are low. I can't work over 20 hours a week or I'll just collapse.
I still get tired way more quickly than other people. If I had a busy day I'm in bed by 9.30
Note, I am 29 now and it is frustrating not to be able to maintain a normal job.
The worst part is people don't seem to understand that I can not do what others can. For me MM also effected my speech and when I am tired I can no longer articulate well.

Staying hydrated is still a problem for me at some days. I simply forget to drink. Does anyone have any tips for me on this. I know I need to drink more than I do.

http://www.facebook.com/lilian.justlilian 129102580  
IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 7:34pm

Lilian, my daughter still has problems similar to yours. I've attributed these issues to the strokes she had mostly. She still after 11 years gets exhausted way quicker than most. She gets even more tired and foggy when its too warm. She doesn't regulate her temperature well.  I don't think others can understand how exhausted she actually gets either. She needs at least 10 hours of sleep at night. As for the hydration It's ahrd to get her to drink enough sometimes too. I add things that she can eat that also hydrate. Watermelon, grapes, lots of fruit and veggies actually. Jello, ice cream or frozen yogurt, and slushies for snacks. I also started making her a smoothie with the Nutri bullet everyday. I use spinach,banana, aapple, blueberries and skim milk. We always carry a drink, she's not a fan of plain water so I add a little bit of Gatorade powder. Just a few ideas, I hope it helps.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Lilian
Junior Poster

Leiden, Netherlands, europe, 222, 235
Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 1:45pm

Thank you, although it is not a pleasant matter. it is comforting to know I am not the only one.
It's like you say, others can not understand how exhausted I get.
Tired simply doesn't cover the load. I have a coach who gives me some counseling me in my current job and I tell  her I won't be able to work 4 5-hour shifts a week in stead of 3 6,5 hour shifts. The difference is not only the rest I miss because there is an extra day, also  I get a 15 minute break in a 5 hour shift in stead of 45 minutes in my 6,5 hour shift. She thinks I  just have to get used to the whole thing. There is no getting  used to, I get tired and then exhausted, I need time to recover. She says she has seen it happening with other clients. I am not other clients, None of her clients have MM besides me. It seems like other people always seem to know better than us what seems to be going on in our minds and bodies. They don't know what it feels like but pretend they do because they know this or that person who has a similar thing going on and is doing just fine.
Sorry for my rant but I get so sick of explaining every time to everybody why I can't do all the things I want.
It is so nice to know that you understand me Mary Grace.

http://www.facebook.com/lilian.justlilian 129102580  
IP Logged

Moyamomma
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2013 at 7:51am

We have just been diagnosed this week. Or rather, my six-year-old daughter. Surgery is happening in two weeks. Both sides. I feel sick to my stomach. She is so little. I like reading your stories of post surgery positives. Keep them coming. I worry the stress and panic of it all will undo me but trying to stay strong. Taking things in baby steps.

Today we are hoping there will be no diagnosis of associated disorders, like vasculitis. Actually I am just setting my mind to it, that it will be so. Her other tests (kidneys, heart, spinal fluid) all came back clear. Send us your prayers if you're the praying kind. I look forward to connecting with you all.  Sad

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2013 at 9:38am

Moyamomma, So sorry for the diagnosis but I'm glad you found this group. If you have any questions post them up and I'm sure someone can answer them. It's so much to digest. Has your daughter had any strokes so far? It sounds like the Dr.s are moving quickly which is great. Waiting can be unbearable. My daughter had a couple strokes so surgery was delayed while she healed but she kept having them so surgery had to be done under not the best of circumstances. She had several strokes. Her complications after surgery are mostly because of the strokes. As far as the moyamoya she has not ahd any strokes or TIA's since the surgery. Recovery from the surgery went well. Recovery from the strokes is still a long haul 11 years later. Kids are so much stronger than you think. They really seem to recover well and quickly. Stay strong and you will make it through together. I know she's little but age is on her side for a complete recovery. When our daughter was diagnosed it was all we could think about 24 hours a day. We didn't have this group to ask questions and we felt very alone. I hope this group is helpful to you and your family. My daughter was not quite 5 years old and also has Down syndrome which made her slightly more likely to have moyamoya. I hope all is going well. I will certainly keep you and your daughter in my prayers. Keep us posted. If you would like to email feel free
Mary Grace
mgrace5@nycap.rr.com

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge