Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for a surgeon (Read 10647 times)
Cerena
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Looking for a surgeon
Jun 27th, 2016 at 12:16am

I was diagnosed with Moyamoya last week. I'm from a very small town and no one knows anything about Moyamoya. All I have is what I've read online and I'm not sure how much of it is true. On to the important part I'm on the hunt for a surgeon. My doctor told me to talk to a few to find one I felt comfortable with.. My problem is I have no clue where to start looking!! Who do you recommend?? I'm from the Midwest but willing to travel!

IP Logged

caretothepeople
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Looking for a surgeon
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 10:47am

Hi and welcome! In addition to doing your own research, Ask your doctor who they might recommend. University of Illinois College of Medicine has a neurovascular surgery center. Or the Barrow Neurological Institute in AZ.

IP Logged

Cerena
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 5:56pm

Ok I will look into both of them. My doctor doesn't know anything about it 😥..

IP Logged

willowz
New Poster

Hope Springs Eternal

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 2:24pm

Dr. Douglas Anderson of Loyola Medical Center operated on my sister last fall and again this spring (1st one side then the other). She's been doing well and has no restrictions. Loyola is located in Maywood outside of Chicago, IL.  Have to have a neurologist confirm you have MM and then you can make an appt with a surgeon like Dr. Anderson. Hope you find someone good to help you.

IP Logged

Rachlin Sisters
New Poster

diagnosed in pre-k & 2nd
grade

nj
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 11:29am

Dr. Ed Smith works in Boston Children Hospital and is one of the few neurosurgeons that know what hes talking about when it comes to moyamoya.

Rena Rachlin  
IP Logged

corynski
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

lancing, tn
Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 9:21pm

Hello Cerena

Are you anywhere near Nashville, Tn.?   My son William was diagnosed with Moya-Moya disease a few years back, and subsequently had two surgeries done by Dr. Robert Mericle and his excellent staff at the Nashville Neurosurgery Group.  Here is his information:

https://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-robert-mericle-35c5c

I wish you the best.....  Let me know if I can be of any help.  Willy is in Lake Worth, Fl. but comes here to Lancing, Tn (near Knoxville) to see me.  He still suffers from headaches as he is recovering.  It's a tough one......

charles coryn, lancing, tn.

IP Logged

DawnieLittleBitz
New Poster

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 4:19pm

I'm in South Florida, probably not very helpful, but I had used Dr. Jacques Morcos for my STA-MCA Bypass surgeries.  He was informed and everyone told me that Jackson Hospital was the only place I wanted to go with MM.  I wish I'd have found this site before I was diagnosed in April of this year, after having a frontal left love stroke.  Good luck to you.  It's not so scary when you find the right person to ask the information.

IP Logged

jadleybray
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 6:38pm

I'm sure there are other's, but the research I found was Boston, Stanford, and OHSU in Portland Oregon.  My wife has both left and right bypass surgeries at OHSU with great success.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge