Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice before Angiogram (Read 3477 times)
Julz
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Advice before Angiogram
Jan 1st, 2017 at 9:26am

My son (10) was just diagnosed. I am scared out of my mind. He has an angiogram scheduled on the 4th.
What do I need to know????

Thank you!

IP Logged

OneStoneTwoBirds
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Advice before Angiogram
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 5:09pm

Specifically what do you want to know?  About what to expect with the angiogram, or about the disease?

The angiogram takes about 1.5 to 2 hours.  After that, your son will have to stay put for about 30 minutes until the blood clots.  The angiogram will tell the neurosurgeon the extent of the narrowing of the internal carotids and therefore the extent of the disease.  It is an outpatient procedure.  You'll be given a sheet of post-procedure care.  It is a procedure that sounds terrible but even my husband, who was the biggest wuss in the world about all things medical, said it wasn't so bad.  What doctor and hospital are handling your son's care?

IP Logged

Smithnth
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Advice before Angiogram
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 4:25pm

At some point you are going to have to think about surgery. Your options will be a direct or indirect bypass. Given your son's age you are probably going to walk to look at the indirect pretty seriously. If possible you will also want to get a MRI blood flow study done before and after the surgery so you can see the progress.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge