Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IEP and 504 (Read 12352 times)
aneta
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Chicopee, MA    
IEP and 504
Oct 9th, 2012 at 11:48am

My daughter Nicole had her surgery in 09 .. She is 10 years old and in a 5 grade .She is ADD and  has frequent headaches..She is on 27 mg of Concerta witch helps her concentrate .. Last year she did not qualify for 504 or IEP ..This year she is not getting any extra help .. she is not getting good grades ..straggles alot  ...Anybody with school age kids had the same problem..

Nicole Kawasaki Disease 18 mo
Nicole diagnosed with MM 6-26-09

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Re: IEP and 504
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 8:13am

Aneta, has she been tested?  My daughter had a 504 in high school.  With test results and the school guidance counselor it was easy to get one and she had good grades. We noticed some very slight issues after her surgery so we had testing done by a neuropshychologist.  I cna't speak to the IEP...I know it takes more to get one.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

aneta
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Chicopee, MA    
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:38pm

Yes she did get tested last year and she did not qualify for 504 or IEP...I am going back to school tomorrow ...I will see what they say ..I will request another referral for testing done from her pediatrician or in 2 weeks we are seeing neurologist in Boston  and i will see what he thinks ..I am soo soo mad..her grades are awful even do she is on concerta and she gets frequent headaches ..and they are saying she is not eligible...thank you for replaying ..i dont understand why its so hard to get help from school for   a kid that has life long illness and struggles...

Nicole Kawasaki Disease 18 mo
Nicole diagnosed with MM 6-26-09

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 8:39pm

She should qualify under "other health impaired" if you can justify how her medical issues impact school and her ability to learn without any support. Do her headaches impact her attendance or her concentration? does her ADD impact her work and would special accomidations like sitting in the front of the class help? Does she have any restictions because of the moyamoya such as in PE class or on the playground? My daughter tires very easily and is very sensitive to the heat she needs airconditioning in the warmer months of school.Does she need help organizing her assignments? Did your daughter have any strokes. If so she would qualify under brain injury even is it impacts her work slightly. She deserves the modificaitons no matter how few or small they may be. Would extra time for assignments help? Especially if she has headaches and may not be able to finish an assignment until the headache resolves. Does she need help staying on task? These are all the things that could be covered under a 504 or IEP. Maybe your neurologist can reccomend a full outside evaluation. If you disagree with the school evaluation they are obligated to pay for an outside eval. If you have the school evaluation done try to observe the evaluation(they may balk at this but they really can't deny you just because it's "their policy") and get all the scores and be sure you have someone who can explain the scores to you and how they will impact learning. If you do get an IEP or 504 one thing they may not offer but is probably the most helpful thing added to my daughters IEP is a monthly team meeting. Keep me posted and ask away, I hope some of this helps...
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

hanginon
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

USA, usa, 405, 106, MI, Michigan
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 4:11pm

She absolutely should be put on a Section 504 Plan.  The school cannot use the reason, "She's not doing that poorly, therefore doesn't need 504 plan."

Just tell them you would like to meet and bring an Advocate, or ADA attorney. 

You are not asking for too much - just some accommodations, extra help, and most importantly, that this get down on paper, so as she moves up in grades, this is documented.

She could also qualify for special education services under "Other Health Impaired."

Call your county office and ask for a list of advocates you can contact if you want to take someone with you to the school meeting.

Good luck

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 11:25am

Agree! Destin was an honor student and taking AP classes (accelerated) and she had a 504 plan. An IEP is harder to get but with a 504 plan you can get some accomodations.  Don't give up!

Destin's mom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge