Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
social security disability (Read 15651 times)
Larry
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Austintown,Oh
social security disability
Aug 21st, 2012 at 4:47pm

Is it possible to get social security disabilty after 2 STA-MCA surgeries in 2010. I returned to work after each surgery and was working until my plant closed at the end of June. I will lose all my insurance coverage 08/31 due to the liquidation of the Co. I have been looking for a new job since being laid off 06/22. I will be 59 this Nov. One place I applied for work saw my 2 scars and asked me why I don't try and get disability.  I was told since I returned to work after my surgeries I can never get it. Anybobody have any suggestions?

Lawrence Roth  
IP Logged

Larry
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Austintown,Oh
Re: social security disability
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 5:37pm

Last day for company paid insurance. Have visits to Cleveland Clinic scheduled for early Oct. Will probably have to cancel. Trying to find affordable health care somewhere. My wife retired from her job in April due to attacks of SVT. Her employer offers health care for $1800 a month. hard to afford on unemployment benefits that will end in December. I take several prescription drugs, some needed for my MM condition. Just looking for advice.

Lawrence Roth  
IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 10:12am

Larry if you haven't filed for SS disability you should.  It usually takes a couple of tries. If you get turned down file again.  Good luck with it.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

Chris D
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 4:13pm

My husband was not able to return to work after surgery and we are still waiting for social security.  His date of disability onset is 11/2010 and they have turned him down twice and now we are waiting for our hearing.  They turned him down on the basis that he could perform a less strenous job.  It has been a wreck.  I've learned so much. We've had an attorney the entire time but social security is not required to review medical documentation.  They just look at his date of birth and turn him down.  People with ADHD and depression can get it- but a man in his mid-thirties that suffered a stroke and has permanent damage cannot. It's all a game but the sooner you file in this economy, the better.

IP Logged

Larry
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Austintown,Oh
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 1:53pm

Just started a SS Disability claim myself online the other day. I guess I can continue it at a later date. Question, do I need a lawyer to complete the form or should I already be in touch with one ? Has anyone successfuly filed and received SS disability without an attorney's help.

Lawrence Roth  
IP Logged

DawnR
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2012 at 10:57am

My friend and I both have Moyamoya. We live in the same small town and our children are in the same 2nd grade class together. I got to Stanford and am doing well, and I wish I could say the same for her. She saw a doctor here in MN that operated on her, ruined her and her chance for a successful STA-MCA, went to see Dr. Steinberg and he tried to help, but the first doctor messed things up so badly he wasn't able to help. In a last ditch effort she went to the Mayo Clinic here in MN for help from Dr. Meyer, but was deemed unable to be helped, by both Meyer and Steinberg. She was told her next stroke will kill her. She has 4 small children, is losing her home due to medical bills and was just denied SS benefits. What more can she do to get these benefits for her family? Is there any where else she can go for financial help? Thank you so much in advance for any help.

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 7:43am

I would tell her to get an attorney if she doesn't have one.  I have another daughter (without MM). she is on SS disability for other reasons.  It took her 3 tries before they said yes.  Once her atty. got her approved they paid her benefits retroactive to the first time she applied.  She will probably need something from all of her doctors saying she can't work.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

Larry
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Austintown,Oh
Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 4:18pm

Got refusal letter. I filed on my own initially but now have a lawyer who specilizes in SSDI. I have  60 days to appeal. The lawyer started the process. All this does is put your case in front of another processor. Lawyer said chances for approval are not that great second time. He said if we get a hearing in front of a judge, which would be next if turned down again, he could win it for me . On my initial claim I got a call from Columbus from my caseworker questioning what Moyamoya was. I sent her all my medical info from Moyamoya along with all my other ailments. She didn't put down half the doctors I've seen in the last few years.Now it play the waiting game. I wonder why Moyamoya isn't listed in SSDI's "bluebook"?

Lawrence Roth  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge